Switching from automatic to manual 85 aries

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Switching from automatic to manual 85 aries

Postby mitchscott21 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:54 am

Hey so my question is what is the best car to pull a manual tranny out of?
I want to get This damn Automatic Out Before the slow gears bore me to death lmao
I plan to swap an 88 lebaron turbo engine into the car, so one that would work with my stock 2.2l and the New turbo 2.2l
Any advice would Be awesome and much appreciated
mitchscott21

Car Information: 1985 Dodge Aries Station Wagon

Re: Switching from automatic to manual 85 aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby mitchscott21 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Hey thanks for the links i appreciate the info.
But do you know where i might get info on converting from an auto to manual? I cant stand the way this car is geared.. it honestly cant get out of its own way lol.
mitchscott21

Car Information: 1985 Dodge Aries Station Wagon

Postby capev86 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:37 pm

always buy a turbo clutch if you can....it is larger diameter and will last a long time on a low performance naturally aspirated car due to the greater surface area.

also, most 2.2 and 2.5 blocks have the bosses on the back to support the intermediate shaft for the equal length axle setup found on most later turbo cars. great way to reduce (or even out) torque steer. on the 2.5 tbi out of my 91 Dynasty, all i had to do was tap out the existing holes to match the thread for the bolts from my 89 Spirit ES.

the trans end of the axles and bobble strut mount location on the k frame are different on cars from 1987 onwards, except for the L bodies that never got the better transmissions (other than the 1990 Omni with auto trans that got unique 1 year only axles). you don't have to relocate the bobble strut mount (i.e. cut and weld back on) on an early car when going to a later manual trans (there is a quick fix using a longer bolt and a spacer), but these are points to consider when retrofitting a car....just get the correct year stuff from the get go.

oh, and the input shaft got bigger for 1991, so the 1990 523-543-58 shares the clutch with the older gen transmissions.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby capev86 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:45 am

here is a virtual twin to my parts car (same color even) being parted out on eBay. it is a long drive from you, but at least it is the correct side the country! might be worth it to take a vacation trip up there and pick yourself up some parts:

bucket seats (required to clear 1987+ cable shifters because the mechanism is above the floor instead of underneath like earlier rod shifted transmissions)
87 to 88 Aries-Reliant 5spd console (don't forget the mounting plate welded to the floor) with accordion boot
clutch-brake pedal combo
clutch cable bracket on driver side strut tower
520 5spd
shifter and cables for 520\555
"front wheel drive" filler for column shift indicator hole
etc, etc, etc....

save for the transmission, shifter, cables (and different color bucket seats) this is the package i am using from my parts car for my 86 K wagon to supplement my 2.5 T2+ and A568-523 hybrid with Quaife limited slip differential. the 87-88 K car only mini 5spd console only came in blue, gray and maroon as far as i can tell, so i will have to have mine color matched to the "almond" interior in my car. you could get a full console with the 85-89 floor shift auto cars that was available in all colors. the floor auto will work great with an 87+ shifter, plus it will have the mounting plate on the floor. all you will need is to figure out some sort of plate\boot for where the shifter comes out (instead of the auto shifter).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390616906529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car