Cold Starting Troubles

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Cold Starting Troubles

Postby Brenda65 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:39 pm

I have been on here before with my cold starting issues. I have a 1979 Chrysler Cordoba (slant 6 I believe) that gets very tricky to get started in the colder months (combination of cranking too long not wearing out my battery- which was replaced in September with tune up knowing how cold weather treats me). So, I have a strong battery in it, which I even keep on a charger at times.

The general issue is that my car has always been tuff and tempermental to start (even was that way for my great aunt- she gave me the car). Being a single divorced female and tight on cash, I don’t have much money to throw at trying to trouble shoot and guess at this car. Typically, the success I have in getting it started in the cold results in me really pumping on the gas while cranking it to get it to turn over. I know this can't be typical, but curious if anyone had other suggestions to help make my cold starts a little easier on me?

Thanks

Brenda
Brenda65

Car Information: 1979 Chrysler Cordoba

Re: Cold Starting Troubles

Postby dc8flyer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:27 pm

You could have a shop install a "block heater" in your car's block. This would allow you to plug it in at night with an electrical cord keeping the fluids warm resulting in an easier start.

Other than that without knowing your car it would be hard to suggest a solution.
dc8flyer

Car Information: 1987 Dodge 600SE 4DR Sedan

Postby Brenda65 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:51 pm

dc8flyer wrote:You could have a shop install a "block heater" in your car's block. This would allow you to plug it in at night with an electrical cord keeping the fluids warm resulting in an easier start.

Other than that without knowing your car it would be hard to suggest a solution.

I appreciate that suggestion and will look into it. Is it typical do you think for it need to be pumped more for more gas in the winter months?
Brenda65

Postby dc8flyer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:44 pm

You shouldn't have to pump the accelerator if at all whether it be cold or hot.

You need to have the car inspected. May need a tune up at the very least.

This may not apply to your car, but threre was a similar recall about hard starts in cold weather and while warming up. Third one down. A local dealer might have on record your vin number to see if it applies.

http://www.dealerrater.ca/recalls/Chrysler/CORDOBA/
dc8flyer

Car Information: 1987 Dodge 600SE 4DR Sedan

Postby Brenda65 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:38 pm

dc8flyer- I really appreciate your input and maybe that recall applies here. I had a tune up and work done in September knowing how cold weather treats me with this car. As for not having to pump the pedal, it would never start if I didnt I am sure. That car has always needed that.

Thanks again
Brenda65

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 pm

The older cars with carburetors needed to be pumped at least once to start. Unlike fuel injection you have to depress the accelerator at least some for the automatic choke to close, if the choke is open it wont start. Each time you push down the gas peddle a squirt of gas goes in from the accelerator pump. Chokes have adjustments to make them open faster or slower depending on temperature and there is a thermostatic spring that makes it open when it gets warm, if it doesn't open the engine will chug and use lots of gas. Around here it is hard to find a mechanic who can set up a carb as carbs are rare.
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Postby Brenda65 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:09 pm

I wish it were only one pump of the pedal 86dodge, but that is not the case. And yes, apparently the mechanic I use is struggling to figure out my carb because I am having daily struggles which is requiring me to have a very strong battery do to the cranking wars im going through. Your input on this is most appreciated.
Brenda65

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:26 am

Hello Brenda. Sorry for the slow response. Call Ed Garren at 213-453-3040. He is a great guy and knows a lot about these Chryslers.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:10 pm

I,ll also mention that in the old days when everyone had carburetors (1960"s) and our gas was dirtier carburetors would get rebuilt regularly. All the gaskets taken out, the metal parts soaked in a special cleaner, all the small holes blown out and made sure that they were clean and all the gaskets replaced with new installed and adjust idle mixture and choke. Adjusting idle mixture and choke was tune up procedure then. 1or 2 x a year.
Good luck
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Postby mona's k » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:49 am

Is your colder weather 30-50 degrees F or 0-20 degrees F? If the outside temp is above 30, 2 full pumps (3 at the most) plus a 1/2 pump to set the choke should start your car if it has ran in the last day or so. If you are pumping and cranking you may be flooding the engine. Check for a "gassy" smell. Using a thinner oil in the winter may help with the cranking speed.

Other thoughts, use some fuel system cleaner (I like Seafoam and Chevron Techron) if your carburetor hasn't been apart in awhile. Check for vacuum leaks. Check to make sure the choke is actually setting after pressing the accelerator. Get a can of starting fluid, take off the air cleaner, spray a few shots down the carb, put the air cleaner back on, and try starting. If it starts and runs (even for a short bit) you have some sort of fuel delivery issue (fuel pump getting weak?). If it doesn't "pop" then you may have an electrical issue.

If your temps are below 20 you may need to get an engine heater. if your car doesn't have A/C a tank type heater is easy to install. Otherwise, there are some that replace the dipstick or a magnet that goes on the side of a metal oil pan.

If you need to crank the engine do it for about 30 seconds then quit for a few seconds, crank,crank crank will burn your starter out and you will have another expense.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Next

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car