1986 Chrysler LeBaron Broken Driver's seat frame

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1986 Chrysler LeBaron Broken Driver's seat frame

Postby ManfredvonRichthofen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:20 am

Hi all,

Im new to this forum as I recently purchased an 86' LeBaron Convertible 2.5L. The driver's seat frame is broken, making the left side of the seat lean back with no support, and likely causing undue strain on the remaining frame. I discovered a Chrysler recall of this specific seat for this problem, something to do with the location of the seat adjuster causing the frame to break. Clearly, the previous owner did not take advantage.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and discovered a way to fix it, i.e. re-welding the frame? In the alternative, I would search for a replacement seat, and my question there is which are compatible? 1982-1988 LeBarons?

Thank you for any help you can provide, and I am very happy to join your ranks. These are great cars. My first crack at a manual, and Im really enjoying driving this vintage of car with a manual transmission.
ManfredvonRichthofen

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron 2.5L

Re: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron Broken Driver's seat frame

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the club. I found this on the original Chrysler recall. Looks like you have one of those rare 1500 effected cars. Chrysler is indicating the whole seat frame was wrong and the best bet may be finding another correct power seat assembly rather than trying to weld or repair the incorrect manual adjust frame. Maybe some one else will know more about this.

Recall Date:
APR 08, 1988
Model Affected:
1986 Chrysler Lebaron
Summary:
A SERVICE REPLACEMENT DRIVERS SEAT CUSHION (MANUAL SEAT TYPE) MAY CONTAIN WRONG CUSHION WITH A BRACE THAT COULD INTERFERE WITH POWER SEAT ADJUSTER MECHANISM AND CAUSE STRESS ON THE FRAME.
Consequences:
SEAT FRAME COULD FRACTURE AND RESULT IN SIGNIFICANTREARWARD MOVEMENT OF THE SEAT BACK.
Remedy:
REPLACE FRAME WITH PROPER POWER SEAT FRAME.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
CHRYSLER CORPORATION

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1986/chr ... z2thpExFgC
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks again Pete. When I get a chance, I want to phone this new fellow and welcome him officially. He is in San Diego which is actually within meeting distance
of CKCC HQ. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Welcome to the forum

I don't know a lot about the recall or exactly what is broken where. Hot roders put seats from just about anything into their project. There will basically be 4 bolts that hold the seat to the floor ( I am thinking buckets) and a couple of wire plugs for power motors and seat belt lights. There should be about 4 more bolts that would separate the seat from the track. The power motors that move the seat up and down and forward and backward should be on the track part. I'm sure these cars are to old to have power recline, built in speakers heaters ect. Now there should be zippers clips ect that hold the seat covers on ( an upholstery guy could help ) The covers in your car would be the best match if they are in good shape. Once the covers are off the foam comes off and you have a metal frame left. Easy weld if you can, might need metal to reinforce. If you can find used seats out of a similar Chrysler product (maybe even sundance or minivan) that is the same style and shape (high back vs low back with headrest) you could probably build some thing. A pair of something might get you down the road until something better shows up. About 20 years ago I had an 82 Le baron 2 door that I put a pair of buckets from a 4 door to replace the bench seat. The was a small metal part I took off to allow the seat to flip forward to allow access to the rear seat. The buckets were way more comfee and the car was a 4 speed so the bench sear was dumb.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Postby marty mopar » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 am

1986 convertible with a manual trans????
marty mopar
Car Fan

Car Information: 1992 Daytona IROC R/T

Postby ManfredvonRichthofen » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:48 am

Thank you for your help guys. Yes, it is an 86 manual convertible. Lots of fun to drive with the top down in San Diego. As for the front seat, I think the best bet will probably be to just get a replacement. I tried a google and ebay search but so far not getting many hits. Im sure something will turn up. In the mean time I'll see if I can do some temporary fixes. I do like the bench seat in the back for storage, so I think I just need a similar front seat.
ManfredvonRichthofen

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron 2.5L

Postby carguyray » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Can you post a pic of this 86 with a stick. I'd bet it's a very early 87 since I didn't think there were any 2.5's OR sticks in the 86's. They're just a cosmetic redo of the 84/5's and were never set up for a stick in the Convertible. If it is an 86 w/that I truly LOVE to see how they did it (interior pix). Thanks!
carguyray

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car