Adjust 3 speed tranny bands..Help!

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Adjust 3 speed tranny bands..Help!

Postby 86newyorkerturbo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 pm

I have an 86 new yorker turbo.. recently replaced the head gasket/bolts. etc now the engine runs beautiful but when put into reverse it violently goes into gear, also when shifting to 3rd its delayed.. engine gets to about 5000 RPM and about 60 mph before it will shift. I replaced the tranny fluid and filter in 2009. How do i adjust these bands? I have heard that the kickdown one is easy and that it can be adjusted from the top of the tranny. Thanks!!!!
86newyorkerturbo

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo

Re: Adjust 3 speed tranny bands..Help!

Postby aussiewoody » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 am

G'day mate. Sorry that I can't answer your question - i'm just a bum, but I'm sure that Pete will chime in soon. Hang in there - he knows just about everything ... for k cars!
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the compliment Gary, but this may not be any easy one to solve.

A band adjustment may help,but it may also be a more involved problem. A factory service manual is going to be needed here to check several other adjustments. First, the throttle cable adjustment needs to be correct as well as the gear selector cable adjustment. First thing I would do is check the fluid level and condition. Pull the transmission dip stick out and check the condition of the fluid. It should be a clear reddish color and not have a burnt smell. If it smells like old varnish and has a yellow-orange-brown color it is burnt. Burnt fluid is a sign of slipping transmission clutches and bands.When you changed the fluid back in 2009 did you use a Dexron type? Chrysler says their new ATF-4 type is back compatible for use in any transmission but, I'm not fully convinced of that. The newer fluid has different friction modifier characteristics.

Unlike todays automatics which are controlled by computers these old three speeds were all hydraulic and the brains of the transmission is a valve body assembly full of oil passages and spring loaded shuttle valves. I suspect by your description that since the 2-3 shift is very late and the engine RPM's are way up there may be a hydraulic pressure issue form a stuck valve, bad servo seal or internal fluid leak somewhere.

Anyway, to adjust the kickdown band that is right in front on top of the transmission case- back of the lock nut 5 turns and make sure the adjusting screw is free to turn. With a torque wrench tighten the adjusting screw to 72 inch-pounds. Back the adjusting screw off 2-1/2 turns and hold it in that position while tightening the lock nut to 35 foot-pounds.The low-reverse band is inside the case and you will have to drop the pan and fluid. Back off it's lock nut 5 turns and tightent the adjusting screw to 41 inch-pounds. Then back it off 3-1/2 turns and tighten the lock nut to 10 foot-pounds.

If you have to drop the pan and fluid you will learn a lot about what is going on inside the transmission. If the bottom of the pan has a lot of little metal shavings, along with band and clutch material the transimmsionis going to need an overhaul.

Hope this helps a little and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Thankyou Pete.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 86newyorkerturbo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:34 am

@ Pete Nice advice! OK when i changed the fluid it was light pink and smelled ok I thought id change it because the little old lady said it had never been touched. also just a light film on the magnet nothing too bad. And i took it out today and opened it up and let it get nice and hot, I also adjusted the kick down witch was just finger tight, It now shifts real smooth and at the right intervals but I still get a slight slam into reverse 1/3 times. When it warms up a bit outside ill see about adjusting the one inside the trans. Thanks for the help my trans appreciates it!
86newyorkerturbo

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for posting back on your results, It's always nice to hear about a succesful outcome!
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car