Aftermarket muffler suggestions?

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Aftermarket muffler suggestions?

Postby crowan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:41 am

My muffler is shot and I want to replace it to make the car sound mean! It's a 5 speed. Does anyone have any suggestions? A friend of mine recommended the Thrush Turbo. I fully realize that I won't be able to get any performance increase... On that thought, has anyone run headers!?
crowan

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries K-Car 2.2L 4dr sedan, fuel inj...

Re: Aftermarket muffler suggestions?

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:32 am

I put a Thrush Turbo on my 91 corolla and it was not much louder than stock. My 86 Dodge 600 2.2 turbo with no cat is a bit loud but not that bad with a burnt out flow through that came with the car. It has a bit more drown on the highway than I would like but that is with the top dropped. A Thrush glasspack would be similar. You might want to research what the tuner cars use. A turbo or a cat will muffle a bit. You may have noise laws.
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Re: Aftermarket muffler suggestions?

Postby crowan » Wed May 14, 2014 5:56 pm

To conclude this, I put on the Thrush Turbo, part number 17711, and it didn't make much of a difference at all to the sound. One friend commented that it sounded a little deeper...
crowan

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries K-Car 2.2L 4dr sedan, fuel inj...

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car