Engine/Transmisison replacement or rebuild?

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Engine/Transmisison replacement or rebuild?

Postby Mike23 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:00 pm

I have a 1985 dodge 600 2.2L non turbo convertible with about 95,000km which runs a little rough and has startup problems (Need to pump the gas when starting just as i feel the car is going to start, I have to push the gas pedal down and rev the engine or else the car will immediately shut off after I let the key go.) This problem started to occur immediately after having my belts done, so it may be because of that but it does not have a carb so I am concerned. Also in first gear the car shakes quite a bit during the beginning of acceleration. I am wondering what engine/transmission pairs I should be looking for that would easily swap in, and preferably are more fuel efficient, or if I would just be better off having both rebuilt/repaired/overhauled. I would like to do the engine swap myself but obviously i cannot do the rebuild as i do not own a machine shop.
Mike23

Car Information: Red 1985 dodge 600 convertible

Re: Engine/Transmisison replacement or rebuild?

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:21 pm

The 2.2 engine is quite efficient when running properly. A 5 speed standard was able to get 45 mpg on our old Canadian imperial gallon. Our newer auto cars have lockout torque converters and overdrives, the 3 speed slush box that came with the older autos never got good mileage and had noticeably less acceleration and was more noticeable on 4 cylinder compared to 8 cylinder cars.

Changing belts shouldn't change how the car runs, unless its the timing belt. Vacuum lines or ground wires could get disturbed, 29 year old vacuum lines can be brittle and loose seal easily. My 86 has a bunch of vacuum switches mounted on the passenger side splash pan.

Do some diagnostics before swapping or rebuilding as the driveability problems could come from computers poor connections carbouration and carry on with a new motor.
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Re: Engine/Transmisison replacement or rebuild?

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi and welcome to the club,

I agree, I would be looking for broken vacuum lines or electrical connector issues first. If the car ran okay before the work that was done the basic engine is very likely not the problem. The 2.2 is a very good little engine and yours doesn't have all that much mileage on it. If as was mentioned, the timing belt was replaced that is another issue as it could be a tooth off and that will cause issues.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car