Overheating???

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Overheating???

Postby acuda4me » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:16 pm

This morning my new to me Reliant, that never has run passed the center mark on the temp gauge went WAAAAAY up bordering on the red marks before the thermostat opened and went back to a little above normal. Thing is, the car didn't "act" hot at all. No rattle, no clatter, no smoke. My friend dropped me at work and took it back home and reported it kept a little above center when at stoplights and then settled down when moving. Any educated guesses? Sticky thermostat? Gauge malfunction? Fan malfunction?
acuda4me

Car Information: 1987 Plymouth Reliant

Re: Overheating???

Postby acuda4me » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:00 am

Okay, now for an update. Replaced the thermostat (looked like original equipment) after work tonight with a 180 degree one (Southern California) and after an 8-mile tool around it seems to be running cooler. (Barely ever made it to the half-way mark on the gauge.) I guess tomorrow will be the real test!
Last edited by acuda4me on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acuda4me

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:39 am

Hell Jeff. I asked Ed Garren to bring a drilled thermostat for Saturday. Come on by Bobs for breakfast in Burbank this Saturday, as this will be our beginning of the cruise. We'd love
to have you with us. These cooling systems MUST be bled. I sent you a facebook message with a link to Ed's video about all this. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby acuda4me » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:43 pm

I was planning to at least stop by for the Bob's leg of the ride. It made the trip up to Santa Barbara for work with no issues. I plane to replace the thermostat with a drilled one very soon.
acuda4me

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car