1985 dodge 600 fuel pump not working

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1985 dodge 600 fuel pump not working

Postby joshuafisher » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:28 am

Hello my car isnt getting fuel I got it to start for the first time in a good 6 or 7 years all I did was put a new battery in it and threw some gas in the carb and it fired right up but only stays running if I keep putting gas in the carb but there is no fuel coming out of the injecter so my question is what is the best way to get to the fuel pump?
joshuafisher

Re: 1985 dodge 600 fuel pump not working

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi,

The pump is in the tank and you will have to drop the gas tank to get at it. There are quite a few reasons why gas may not be getting to the engine after the car sat so long. When you first turn the ignition key to the run position but before cranking the engine, you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. If you don't hear the pump run, the pump may not be getting electrical power and I would check that first. The pump may also be clogged up with dirt and old fuel/varnish from sitting so long.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car