Reverse lights not coming on ... bad switch? - 1987 Dodge Ar

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Reverse lights not coming on ... bad switch? - 1987 Dodge Ar

Postby 1987dodgearies » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:37 pm

I have a 87 Aries which has been developing an issue... where the reverse lights won't come on, when I place the transmission lever into reverse.
At first it did it just every so often and I would wiggle the gear selector and they would come on. Now, they don't come on at all when the car is placed into reverse. The light will flicker on very quickly as its just about to go into the reverse position bu then go out.
Back during the summer, I tried to adjust the cable/gearshift linkage on the trans axle housing, as outlined in my Haynes manual. I really couldn't get any more adjustment out of it.
Is it likely that the switch itself is just worn out? I know this same switch also acts as the neutral safety switch.
I read that you can jump the two outer terminals and if the reverse lights come on... it's the switch. (or is it?)

Would it likely be the switch itself or could the linkage inside the transmission somehow not be making proper contact with the sensor, from the inside? I never removed one of these sensor switches to examine it.

It doesn't have to be oriented a certain way or screwed in deeper or something like that..would it?

I looked through the forums before posting this thread and although I saw a few threads regarding reverse lights, I wasnt sure how anyone resolved the problems they were having. I thought I'd post this and see if I can trouble shoot it, then let everyone know how it worked out in the end.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Re: Reverse lights not coming on ... bad switch? - 1987 Dodg

Postby surgeman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:45 am

More than likely the contacts have broken internally..It can still be ordered from Autozone...
surgeman

Car Information: 1985 Dodge 600,1985 Chrysler Lebaron Both Vertible

Re: Reverse lights not coming on ... bad switch? - 1987 Dodg

Postby 1987dodgearies » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:24 pm

I ended up buying a new Neutral Safety /Reverse Lamp Switch - MOPAR part # 3747361. I read that its better to use a OEM part when it comes to replacing that switch. I picked it up shipped and all for $13 on a well known auction site, still in the bag.

It took 5 minutes to swap it out and now the reverse lights are working perfectly again.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car