Mounting Parking Brake equalizer rod and bar

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Mounting Parking Brake equalizer rod and bar

Postby 1987dodgearies » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm trying to properly locate which hole the parking brake equalizer rod latches into under my 1987 Dodge Aries.

The prior owner had this huge threaded rod hooked into one of the big holes on the frame (with about 7" extra inches of thread). Clearly, I can tell its not an actual part, but rigged up. I just put a new intermediate cable on today and I'm trying to figure out which hole the proper part should go. I still need the proper rod and vibration doughnut too.

Does anyone have a photo of exactly which hole the rod goes into? My Haynes manual (which is terrible by the way)... shows it going into a hole on the side (not bottom of the frame) and the diagram is terrible, since its just a drawing of the entire parking brake system. It would be great if there was an actual photo. There is no way it goes where the lousy photo indicates or it would run right through fuel lines.

I'm hoping to figure this out to get it off the jack stands today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I gave up for tonight since its cold, almost dark and now raining. I tied the intermediate cable up with string, so at least for now I can continue driving the car.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Re: Mounting Parking Brake equalizer rod and bar

Postby 1987dodgearies » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:40 pm

I ended up figuring it out a day later. I decided to take a ride to my favorite junk yard and have a look under another K-car.

Sure enough, the equalizer rod does mount on the side of the frame, inside a small hole. On my car that small hole is blocked by some rubber fuel lines which were used to repair a leak.
I grabbed the correct adjuster and related parts off the junked model 600. I'm going to have to mount it in a larger hole on the bottom of the frame, but it wont cause any issues, because the angle and such its nearly identical.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car