Need to repair 1987 Dodge Aries transaxle output seal

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Need to repair 1987 Dodge Aries transaxle output seal

Postby 1987dodgearies » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:30 am

The automatic transaxle in my 1987 Aries w/ 2.2l engine has developed a bad leak from the drivers of the car, coming from the half shaft axle seal. I need to figure out how to remove it and what parts I'll need to replace the leaking seal.

First.. I need to figure out which code my transmission has. Where would it be stamped on the housing? Or is it on a metal tag or something like that? I found a seller that lists a transmission for an Aries with A413 135 NCU 2.78 I'm guessing 2.78 is the gear ratio itself and A413 is likely the transmission/transaxle model number.

Rockauto has a few different brands of output shaft seals listed to include the code A413... so I must be on the right track. TIMKEN Part # 3459S
3 speed trans.; Trans. code A470 (31TH)
3 speed trans.; Trans. code A413 (31TH)

I just need to make sure I have a code A413 ..which I'm guessing I do, but don't want to just assume anything. Then there is the whole issue of possible needing a Output Shaft Repair Sleeve

It says...
Kwik-Sleeve™ is a fast, economical and effective way to refinish a seal-worn shaft. It is a precision engineered sleeve made of stainless steel and then hard chromed for extended life. Because of its thin-wall design, a Kwik-Sleeve can be used without changing the size of the seal and its finish is ideal for lipsealing applications. No expensive preparation or machining is required before mounting. Each Kwik-Sleeve comes with a removable installation flange and its own installation tool. The installation tool reduces the possibility of sleeve distortion and provides for sleeve installation without the removal of the shaft from the serviced equipment.

I might have to take it apart then decide what I need to purchase for the repair. I had no idea you can sleeve the axle if its marred up.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car