Turn Signal and emergency flashers help please

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Turn Signal and emergency flashers help please

Postby jco1971136 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi guys
I'm hoping one of you guys can get me out of a jam here.

1988 Chrysler Reliant, 4 door sedan 2.5L motor.

Several months ago I was having some trouble with my rear turn signals, so I investigated and found that 2 bulb sockets were bad. When I pushed in on the wires the socket worked fine, but once I let it go it stopped working again. Since then I discovered that 2 more were going bad so I went out and bought some new sockets but now I cant get them working correctly. The new sockets I bought have different color wires then the originals do. Here's what I have as far as the wire colors. I hope someone can get me out of this jam. I'd like to do some trout fishing, but I cant move the car till I get this fixed.

Wire colors from left to right (drivers to passengers sides) are:
Drivers side far left has 1 grey, 2 green and 1 black wire. (4 wires, emergency flashers?)
To the right of that is 1 grey, 1 green 1 black
To the right of that is the reverse light (I think) and it has 2 purple and 1 grey wire
To the right of that is the other reverse light and it has 2 black and 1 red wire
To the right of that on the passenger side there is 2 brown 1 black and 1 grey (4 wires, emergency flashers?)
To the right of that (the far right pass. side) I have 1 grey 1 brown and 1 black

The replacement socket has 1 black 1 grey and 1 yellow wire

There doesn't seem to be any "logical" way of connecting them as far as the wire colors go

I am completely lost and need the help of a professional. I'm also thinking about just replacing them all so I can button it up and not have to worry about it again. I've looked around on You tube and other places but I cant find any help specific enough to help me figure it out.

Thanks in advance guys

Jim
jco1971136

Car Information: 1988 Chrysler Reliant

Re: Turn Signal and emergency flashers help please

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:36 pm

If you get a factory service manual (wiring diagram book) like the one listed in the Ebay listing you can trace all the wires (including colors used).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Chrysler-D ... mE&vxp=mtr

Typically wires colors used on the original will not match an aftermarket part which can be used on multiple applications. You have to trace and match it up, either visibly if possible or with a meter (voltmeter and/or ohmmeter.)

Autozone might also have some of the wiring diagrams available.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:10 pm

HI
K CAR WAGON has the right idea as obtaining a factory service manual is the best . In the mean time here are a few "typical" K car wiring diagrams that may help you out. Keep in mind that when/if you replace the sockets ensure that the Higherwattage filament of the 1157 bulb is used for the stop and turn function. Ensure that all grounds are clean and tight.
Attachments
signals2.jpg
signals2.jpg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
signal.jpg
signal.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
rearlights.jpg
rearlights.jpg (86.39 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby jco1971136 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi everyone, I believe I've solved the turn signal problem.

It turns out that I was trying to use a 1056 or 1057 bulb , when in reality I needed a 2057 bulb and a new socket for the 2 inside lights (the ones that come on when hitting the break, and when using the 4-ways).

It appears that these bulb sockets ground connection works their way loose, because I'm having the same problem (sporadic outages of the turn signal bulbs) with the 2 outer bulb sockets. I found replacements @ Napa, for the inner sockets and I'm hoping they also have replacements for the outer sockets.

Much thanks to everyone who replied.
jco1971136

Postby jco1971136 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Although I "thought" I had the problem solved with replacing the bulb sockets, I was still having trouble with the signals, sometimes they would work fine but suddenly they would stop working again. After replacing the sockets I realized that the 2057 bulb was not supposed to be in the socket with 4 wires coming from the harness on both sides, in fact I've put the 1157 bulb in the 4 wire socket on the right side and the 2057 bulb in the 4 wire socket on the left and vice versa on the other side. So each 4 wire bulb socket has a "different" bulb, not the same size bulb which I thought was logical, but it wasn't. So going from left to right standing behind the car facing the front end the bulbs are the 3 wire socket with a 2057 bulb, the 4 wire socket has an 1157, the next socket, 3 wire has a 1157, and the far right side has a 2057. It seems to be working fine now except for some sporadic outages when it is raining a lot, but I think that's because I haven't shrink-wrapped the wires yet. I think I'm good to go now. Thanks for all of the help.
jco1971136

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car