Newbie with K-Mas gift for myself..

A place for new members to introduce themselves and submit their requests.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Forum rules
Before posting here, post over at Suggestions and Comments to start a CKCC project.

Newbie with K-Mas gift for myself..

Postby Wellsmills » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:57 pm

So I was visiting a local u-pull it yard last week (yes there is still a few in NJ) and out front is a real clean 87 Reliant wagon that their wrecker driver was unloading.

I had to check it out. 99K miles on a white (no wood) on maroon LE, bucket seats, floor shift auto, cruise control, power locks, tilt wheel, runs, a/c works, new tires, many new parts, excellent condition, no rust, perfect headliner, seats. I mean the car looked like it was a few years old.

The driver explained it was a one owner local couple who donated the car after the husband could no longer drive. The title dated 8/24/87 shows 10 miles.

Well needless to say it followed me home....Runs a little rough which believe is the MAP sensor. Which I am waiting for from rock auto.

I installed some stock 16" alloy wheels from a 1996 Sebring convertible they look OK but I will be looking for other options too. Installed a infinity CD/cass head unit from a 2000 Town and country and some fresh speakers.

Originally I had planned on using it as a daily driver but now I am thinking it may deserve a more pampered life...
Wellsmills

Car Information: 1987 Pylmouth Relient LE Wagon

Re: Newbie with K-Mas gift for myself..

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 pm

AAACCKK! Awesome. Welcome to the CKCC! That is so rare today. Once K-cars go into monopolized pick-u-parts, there never come out again. In California, you have to pull strings to "persuade" the junkyard
to let you get the car out. That is so stupid that someone would clunk a car with lots more life in it. Would love to see pictures. Congrats on saving a classic K. :D
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby nszotovich » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:30 am

Congratulations on your great find. Welcome to the club! Thanks for giving a good home to an old friend of ours.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby Wellsmills » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:25 am

I am a long time fan of K-car. My father bought his first new car in 1985. I was 15 and helped pick the options. We ended up with a Gun Metal Grey SE two door with auto trans, A/C and rear defrost. He wanted a base model two door with A/C only. I talked him into a SE because it offered fuel injection over the base models carb. Ah the good ol one year only Bosch fuel injection
Wellsmills

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Congratulations on your find. Welcome to the club. Which engine is in the car? Please post some pictures when you get a chance.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Wellsmills » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:07 am

It is a 2.5. Turns out the MAP was not to blame for the poor running condition. Hooked up my scan tool and found the TB temp pinned at 70 degrees F. The wiring harness below the throttle body is hardened and the insulation is all cracked. So I need to replace or rebuild that section of the harness before I can put it on the road. [img]
Wellsmills

Postby capev86 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Originally I had planned on using it as a daily driver but now I am thinking it may deserve a more pampered life...

still, good idea to drive it regularly. i try to drive all my vehicles regularly provided the weather is favorable. even in the middle of the winter, i will take my 72 Suburban out for a spin every week provided the road is dry. keeps things freed up and a charged battery won't freeze!

i always thought the white snowflake rims off my 89 Spirit ES turbo would look nice on a white K car. 2 rims have fresh tires on them and they will likely rot away long before i get around to using them!

also, once i graft the '92 SBEC II 2.5 turbo 5spd harness into the under hood harness on my 86 K wagon, most of the engine control portion of the original LM/PM harness will be headed for the scrap bin. the computer modules are already out and would make great spares for someone....interested?!
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby bret signorelli » Tue May 15, 2012 3:52 am

I am interested in seeing what the white "snowflake wheels" look like . I've been trying to figure out what kind of rims i want on my white 84 new yorker . I don't like the stock wire wheel covers but tolerate them for the time being. Can you post pictures if you still have them and maybe we can work something out?Thanks.
bret signorelli

Car Information: Chrysler New Yorker E 1984

Postby bret signorelli » Tue May 15, 2012 4:02 am

Me again , I just saw what I believe were white snowflake rims on Youtube. Nice!
bret signorelli

Car Information: Chrysler New Yorker E 1984

Return to Welcome. Introduce yourself and the car.