Newbie--1984 Chrysler New Yorker

A place for new members to introduce themselves and submit their requests.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Forum rules
Before posting here, post over at Suggestions and Comments to start a CKCC project.

Newbie--1984 Chrysler New Yorker

Postby 84NewYorkerGuy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:23 am

Hello.

I bought a 1984 New Yorker off ebay, and I absolutely love the car. Pictures can be found in Guy's album (thanks, Guy!).

My local Chrysler dealer has been helpful going over the car. Had minor work/maintenance done. (They also work on my '05 Ram.)
Technician said the New Yorker would be needing an axle boot soon, as the axle seems to be slinging grease.

He said that he could not find the part, but that a "universal boot" may be temporary help.
My thoughts are to see if I can buy a reconditioned axle and have someone install it for me, as I am no mechanic at all!
Definately could use some pointers here. Hopefully, I'll find this post again.

I love the car. The exterior and interior are terrific, including the vinyl half roof! Get a lot of compliments about it. I could kick myself for not buying a K-car when they first came out.
But I listened to my ditzy friends rag on how uncool the K-car was. That's what you get when you follow others, instead of being your own guy.
:)
Last edited by 84NewYorkerGuy on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
84NewYorkerGuy

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler New Yorker

Re: Newbie--1984 Chrysler New Yorker

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Welcome! It worries me a little bit that the dealer can't find the right boot. Any good parts store (Not autozone, pep boys ETC) Should be able to find the right one for you as long as you can ID the type of axle in it. There were a few different types used
MyDodgeDip

Postby Pete in NH » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the club. If the C/V joint is starting to sling grease it needs a new boot NOW before it slings all the grease out and you have to replace the joint and axle shaft. There were three different axle shaft/joint types used in 1984: 1- A.C.L., 2- G.K.N. and 3-Citroen. On top of that the inner and outter joint boots were different on each type so you have six possible boot types. So, the first thing it would be helpful to know is it an outter or inner boot? Page 2-22 in the 1984 shop manual shows the different boot types if the dealer ship still has the old books. If not let me know if it's an inner or outter and I'll then describe the three possible boot types.
Try to stay away from the universal split "Speedi" boots that have a row of small nuts and bolts to hold it together, They also tend to sling the grease out.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:37 pm

If you can't find it locally, but you should be able to get it at a local parts store like NAPA - once you identify the type of axle, try the Internet. You can probably get it over the Internet at Rockauto http://www.rockauto.com.

Look on page 23 of this link illustrating the various CV joint boots corresponding to different supplier options. These parts are for later year cars, but I think the boot design drawings are still applicable to 1984.

http://www.moparpartsworldwide.com/moparreman.pdf
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Pete in NH » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Yes, those are the same boot drawings shown in the 1984 shop manual with the exception of the Saginaw axle was not used in 84.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 84NewYorkerGuy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:51 am

Thank you so much for the Mopar Remanufactured Parts catalog. Very helpful.
And thank you for questioning why my Chrysler dealer parts department could not find a boot. When I asked the parts manager to look a second time, he found one
quickly. I suspect I misunderstood him earlier when he expressed doubt in finding one, as the parts/service department has been good to me over the years.

Curious: In what city was the EEKs made? The K-cars? I believe my '84 New Yorker came from the EEKs.
84NewYorkerGuy

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:27 pm

The build factory is encoded in the VIN (digit #11)
Some USA factories are:
C = Jefferson Plant (Detroit Michigan)
F = Newark Plant (Delaware)
G = St. Louis Plant (Mo)

I found this VIN decoding link, which seems to work well.

http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/moparvin/

Allpar website also has lots of information on the various factories. See link below.
http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories.html
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 84NewYorkerGuy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:24 am

Thank you for the 'decoder' and link!
84NewYorkerGuy

Return to Welcome. Introduce yourself and the car.