1986 Lebaron Convertible Mark Cross

A place for new members to introduce themselves and submit their requests.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Forum rules
Before posting here, post over at Suggestions and Comments to start a CKCC project.

1986 Lebaron Convertible Mark Cross

Postby vintage2 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to this post but having owned several K-Cars over the years I thought I would join. My current one is the model in the subject. I bought it about eight years ago for $270 off ebay. The PO had spent over a thousand dollars trying to keep it running but it would run for a few days or weeks and then it wouldn't start. I towed it home and cleaned the logic module ground and it has been running ever since. Of course I've done much more over the years but not much in the past few years. Now I went to get it inspected and I have a rust hole in the driver's floor board. It is where the brake cable goes through the floor. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement panel or am I forced to make one myself. Suggestions?

I haven't driven it much in the past few years but I loaned it to my brother-in-law last summer and he put 1,200 miles on it without a problem. Will add pictures in a day or two.
vintage2

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible, Mark Cross

Re: 1986 Lebaron Convertible Mark Cross

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the club and I would love to see pictures of your car! On your floor rust out issue, unfortunately there are no replacement panels of any type made for K cars other than rocker panels for 4 drs. So, the only options you have are to fabricate something yourself or cut a section out from a rust free parts car. The area around the parking brake cable entry point is a common rust area. It is often caused by a leak that allows water to saturate the carpeting and padding and hold water against the floor boards for an extended period of time. Look behind the left front wheel on the inner wheel well/ firewall and you will very likely find a rust out behind the plastic protection panel that is letting the water in. Also, look on the passenger side as a similar thing may be going on there as well.

Again, welcome to the club and feel free to ask any questions you have about this repair.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Return to Welcome. Introduce yourself and the car.