new guy from NY

A place for new members to introduce themselves and submit their requests.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Forum rules
Before posting here, post over at Suggestions and Comments to start a CKCC project.

new guy from NY

Postby 88aries » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:08 am

Hello all. My name is Neil, i am a machinist. I recently(3 days ago) purchased a 1988 dodge aries 2-door, 2.2L 3spd auto with 84,292 miles. This car is going to be my daily driver and my other car(1993 mustang gt) is coming off the road for a while. I have a few questions about the car.

1)seeing that i recently purchased the car, any common problems that i should look out for? Along with every car i buy ill be doing an oil change tomorrow, any prefrence on oil and do you guys recommend any additives? As of now the valve cover is leaking from the gasket which i plan to fix as soon as possible.
2)i may be mechanically inclined but electronics arent my best, how easy/hard is it to install an aftermarket radio? I plan on getting one that will have a USB/Aux input.
3)What kind of headlights does the car use, as of now the passenger side headlight is out.
4)as i will be mainly driving the car ~80 miles a day highway, what can i look at for fuel economy going between 60-65mph(how many mpg)
5) any other suggestions? all is appreciated.
88aries

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries

Re: new guy from NY

Postby 86dodge600esconvert » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:50 am

IN 88 you should have at least an am/fm or better which gives you more than 1 speaker like the straight am radios. You should be able to buy an install kit which should plug into your new radio and the factory wires, a gray and a black plug. Chrysler used this plug pattern for years after k cars and almots across all there models jeeps trucks minivans ect. The ground wire and antenna should be easy to hook up, The install kit should have an adapter plate that the new radio will fit into and will attach to the factory mounting screws. Keep your original deck especially if the am/fm still works, you could have the original look and use an fm transmitter from an i-pod/phone or other mp3 player.
It is only a 20 min swap after you've done it a couple of times.
86dodge600esconvert

Car Information: 1986 Dodec 600 es convertable

Return to Welcome. Introduce yourself and the car.