1st gen Aries wagon owner from Grand Rapids, MI!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and submit their requests.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Forum rules
Before posting here, post over at Suggestions and Comments to start a CKCC project.

Re: 1st gen Aries wagon owner from Grand Rapids, MI!

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:24 pm

The starter replacement is not difficult and rebuilt starters or new replacement starters are available at relatively low cost. The front wheel hub and bearing assemblies eventually going bad on any front wheel drive car is not an unusual and should just be considered part of routine maintenance. However, if you have the bearings replaced, try to use high quality bearings from a known bearing brand- some of the low quality ones do not last and most of the cost of the repair is labor. However, getting your choke to be just right in a cold climate might be more of a problem - especially if you want to use it as a daily driver all Winter. On most cars of that vintage you can never get the choke setup to run as well as a modern fuel injected computer controlled car in cold weather. In addition, those carbs from the late 70's - 80's are somewhat problematic to keep running just right, as the current fuel blends are not the same and the Ethanol tends to create problems.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 82WagonGuy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:56 am

Here's some pics of the freshly washed Aries:
82WagonGuy

Car Information: 1982 Dodge Aries Wagon

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:38 pm

Very nice! Very decent shape you're very fortunate! ...I would like to show you a pic of my wagon but the board won't let me up load ...just tells me the attachment quota has been reached.... Anyway my car is the spitting image of yours!!!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 82WagonGuy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:10 am

Well, the transmission on my Aries is starting to slip. I knew it was gonna start to go eventually. Just wondering, how much should I expect to pay for a replacement or rebuit tranny and instalation?
82WagonGuy

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi
With the 2.2 your transmission will be the A-413 three speed Torqueflite. I rebuild all my own transmissions but a price I recieved from a local rebuilder from whom I buy all my parts (this is a custom rebuild including the rebuilt converter ,mandatory on a full rebuild, plus a one year warranty ) was about $1200 Can.
I'm not sure how much of your own work you do but keep in mind if you farm the whole rebuild out to a shop it might cost more.
The above price is the transmission removed and delivered to the rebuilder.
They are not a difficult transmission to rebuild but you do have to be very fussy on cleaning and assembly its basically a "baby"
Torqueflite.

P.S. just came across this http://www.prweb.com/releases/a413-tran ... 646057.htm I don't know them or what exactly they carry but they mentioned that the A-413 is available as used if thats the way you want to roll....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 82WagonGuy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:03 am

Sad to say it but... I have to sell the wagon. Its upkeep just isn't in my budget. Once it's sold, I will probably be saying farewell to the Chrysler K car forums.
82WagonGuy

Postby 82WagonGuy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:24 am

I sold the car to a local repair shop. The transmission and CV axle were absolutely toast. The mechanic found loose bearings and bits and pieces of metal in the tranny. Would've costed almost 800 bucks to get it back on the road. It's just too bad I couldn't afford to keep it and fix the various problems it had. Gonna say sayonara to the K-car borards for now. :|
82WagonGuy

Previous

Return to Welcome. Introduce yourself and the car.