Does my Chrysler 2.5 have the wrong head?

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

Does my Chrysler 2.5 have the wrong head?

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:57 pm

I have been through massive amounts of challenges with this car. Butch told me it looked like my car had the wrong head.
I don't know if this was a result of having my first head gasket job done at 66,000 miles way back in 2004. I mean, it is a Chrysler head, but someone told me he thought maybe they put a Chrysler 2.2 Turbo head on it. Also, it is not cross-drilled. I don't know why. Also, could someone please tell me what the differences are for the 2.5 between 88 and 89. I hear they used different engine parts or 2.2 parts for the 89 engine. Also, would this affect my timing?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Does my Chrysler 2.5 have the wrong head?

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:54 am

Many times when a head gasket goes due to overheating the engine the head will warp or crack and winds up being replaced. Often a rebuild head from the local auto parts place is used and it's anybodies guess if the replacenment head is the same part number that came off the car or somebody's idea of an equivalent head.

You should be able to find a part or casting number near the #4 spark plug on the right hand side of the head as you face the front of the car. with that number it should be possible to track down what the head is from. If the car is running okay i wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think it would have any effect on the timing. I don't know a lot about the changes between 88 and 89 so perhaps someone else can handle that part of your question.

At 200,000 miles a compression check of the health of your 4 cylinders might be more instructive than what head might be on the engine. Does your friend have a compression guage in his tool box?
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Re: Does my Chrysler 2.5 have the wrong head?

Postby Butch » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:14 am

Wrong year, not cross drilled, And you knew that when we had the head off so why do you keep repeating the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. ??????????????????????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor