I have a Fel Pro headgasket, a leaky valve cover, and bolts?

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

I have a Fel Pro headgasket, a leaky valve cover, and bolts?

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Okay, here is another thing:

1. I have a felpro headgasket that was installed in 2009 when the 2nd headgasket went. I am concerned obviously
that at some point it will go. Where can I get the durable reliable aftermarket MOPAR one? Also, the headbolts were
unfortunately reused in 2009. So far, the car is not overheating, but I don't trust the temp gauge. Also, my valve cover
with the horrible cork started leaking last year again. Where can I get a better aftermarket MOPAR one? Will one from
a Dodge Spirit be better?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: I have a Fel Pro headgasket, a leaky valve cover, and bo

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:47 am

First, the valve cover gasket. You mentioned in another post you think you may have a turbo head on your car. If that is so you may also have the cast aluminum valve cover. Is your valve cover black painted steel or aluminum , the gaskets are different.

For the stock black painted steel you have two gasket options. Chysler used RTV (room temperature vulcanizing rubber) and rubber gasket strips over the cam shaft towers. It works fine if properly applied although it is a bit messy. The cork strip agskets are in my opinion totally useless. The second option is a newer one piece steel core gasket which while more expensive is much easier to install. I recently installed a one piece gasket on my 86 Reliant , so far no leaks and it was a snap to install. Many steel valve covers wind up being over tightened and it bends them or even cracks them around the mounting bolt holes. In that case no type of gasket will stop the leaks. The RTV setup uses the cork gasket set but you only used the end strips and throw away the cork. Figure out which valve cover you have and if you would want to use the RTV or one piece gasket. The one piece gasket runs about $25 vs $15 or so for the RTV setup. I'll talk you through the installation of whichever you choose.

There is a Mopar Performance head gasket that is beefer than most other after market gaskets. There are two types depending on whether it's a turbo head or plain stock head. One we figure out which head is on your car i'll look up the number for you.

Your Fel-Pro head gasket will likely be fine, just don't let the engine overheat. What makes you say you don't trust your temperature gauge?
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor