Air cushion brakes and bad alignment. What do I do?

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

Air cushion brakes and bad alignment. What do I do?

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Also, even with accurately inflated tires, I am getting now a lot of up and down vibration under the wheel at 70-80 mph
on the freeway. What to I do?

The brakes are mediocre at best, despite repeated brake jobs. I can put my foot down on the brake and hear
a whishing sound. And when I pump the brake, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh,...Lots of air.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Air cushion brakes and bad alignment. What do I do?

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Lots of potential sources of vibration including: tire balance, worn out suspension parts, bad driveshafts, a bad CV joint, bad rotors, bad wheel hub bearings, etc. Sometimes a vibration over a narrow range is caused by tire imbalance. When was the last time you rotated and dynamically balanced your tires? Do you tires show any signs of an uneven wear pattern? Sometimes a misaligned front end can cause you tires to wear abnormally and go out of balance.

Whistling sound on brakes - are your brake pads ok or worn out? Have you visually checked the pads to make sure? Are your rotors still in good shape? Rotos glazed? If everything is ok safetywise - sometimes pads make noise because of the pad material (Sometimes low quality pads are more susecptible to making noise than the better quality pads). Did the previous mechanic who installed the last set of pads put anti-rattle compound on the part of the pad that interfaces with the piston - sometimes this reduces noise. Are the anti-rattle springs in place and not broken? Noise from front or car?

In general, air in brakes refers to air in the hydraulic system resulting in a soft or low pedal. Did someone tell you that you have air in your brakes or are you just assuming the whoosh sound means you have air in the brakes? Is the whoosh sound any different than on other K-cars when stepping on the barke pedal?
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 88 aries » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:29 pm

That hissing sound coming from the brakes, That would be a bad master cylinder, I have a bad one as well, it likes to hiss. But its not an urgenancy right now, as the car will be going into hibernation mode for 5 months soon. Basically, I would not drive it until you get the problem, fixed. you have a bad problem at not listening to Mechanics......
88 aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:43 pm

I thought sometimes a whoosh noise may be characteristic of a vacuum booster. Has the noise changed dramatically since you first had the car? Does it have a hard pedal? Does the pedal sink? In any event, I would defintitely have someone look at the car and fix it if is does have a brake problem (like a bad master cylinder or multiple brake problems.)
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:56 pm

The petal has a feeling of adequate braking, but when you press it down, you hear the air whoosing. Its been that way
for about 2 years now, but has really caught my attention in the last 6 months.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor