Rack and pinion and lots of metallic sounds.

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

Rack and pinion and lots of metallic sounds.

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Also, someone told me over a year ago my original rack and pinion was wearing out, but I ignored it. Car wanders to the right if I let go of the steering wheel, but only so slightly and I have absolutely zero problems steering. I do have a power
steering leak that was clamped. Also, between the back wheels is some sort of sway bar or metallic rod that has vibrated loose over the years and makes the metal rattling sound I have grown used to and lived with since 2007.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Rack and pinion and lots of metallic sounds.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Don't assume that wander to the right is caused by the rack and pinion. In general, wander is caused by an alignment issue or a worn out or bent front end part. And, maybe a rubber bushing in the back has worn out or disentigrated. You should have somone who knows what they are doing inspect your car to find the sources of your problems and make sure it is nothing serious.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Re: Rack and pinion and lots of metallic sounds.

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeah, the vibration feels like a tire just ran over a spike. But I checked the air pressure and there is still plenty of tread. The vibration also only happens on certain freeways, but not others. Its a weird sensation.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor