Chrysler 2.5 TBI. Intermittent bogging/timing/idle?

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

Re: Chrysler 2.5 TBI. Intermittent bogging/timing/idle?

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks. Well, I have some good news to report:

1. Computer check engine light is staying off.
2. High end power is still excellent. I just confirmed it with a testrun. I did a record 84mph uphill on the freeway. First time the car ever got up the hill that fast since a big tune-up in
2004 at 73,000 miles at the exact same spot. At that time it peaked at 85. It is now 188,000. Butch definitely restored some power to the car.

The two only real issues:
1. The bogging is most definitely PROBABLY a fuel mechanical issue I am guessing. Today, for the first time while I was driving at a slow cruising speed, I felt the engine accelerating, than
slowing down, then accelerating, then slowing down, all by itself. And, it hesitates more from a stop then at higher speeds. I think this weekend I will try that LUCAS FUEL CLEANER.
2. The idle is still a little rough at times, still a little like it might stall, but hasn't so far. I would hope that with the computer no longer throwing error codes, that the electrical is basically
fine and now all I have to worry about is vacuum and mechanical.

Intermittent is this cars middle name.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 88 aries » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:02 am

ah yes but do you have the balls to take on a Beastly GM 3100 that can do 110 up hill, and not over heat?
88 aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:04 pm

89ARIES wrote: High end power is still excellent. I just confirmed it with a testrun. I did a record 84mph uphill on the freeway. ..... and now all I have to worry about is ....

how soon I blow the engine from subjecting it to high end test runs.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Good to hear the car is running much better. But, I agree if you keep beating up that tired old engine sooner or later a wrist pin, connecting rod, piston or something is going to let go and your going to have a piece of scrap metal for an engine block. The cost of an engine rebuild at that point may scrap the entire car. That engine was never designed to be subjected to that kind of abuse and hold up very long.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 88 aries » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:08 pm

84 MPH going up hill is like complete death for a four cylinder, The higher you rev that engine, the faster it goes the faster it will die, and I imagine at 188,000 miles that the engine clearance isn't to well. Its only a matter of time before it will kick a rod out the side or a wrist pin will let go. now my 110 MPH run only occured once... I drive that V6 hard sometimes, but I do not over do it, I have a tach and when it reaches 3 grand I let off the gas..
88 aries

Postby nszotovich » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:23 pm

I repeat:

nszotovich wrote:Please don't take the car up to 95 mph. You are not doing the car any good. The car was designed for 55mph speed limits that were in effect then. Driven gently, K-cars can give you many years of reliable use. Red line driving will only hasten its demise. If you do want to get 300K miles out of it, you should be treating it with a little more reverence.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:34 pm

nszotovich wrote:I repeat:

nszotovich wrote:Please don't take the car up to 95 mph.

No need for concern. The car can only achieve 84 mph wide open on a steep hill.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:58 pm

I won't do it again. Now, an update. The bogging, bucking, is all back and getting much worse. But, the engine is not quitting. Its like I get a lot of resistance in the gas petal and when I let my foot rest on the petal, the car speeds up, slows down, speeds up, slows down. The check engine light is not throwing any codes.
89ARIES

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Daily blogging about your bogging/bucking is not going to solve anything. You need to either get some basic tools and do some systematic troubleshooting yourself/hire someone to do some systematic troubleshooting or throw some cheap parts at it (like try a used throttle body assembly from the wrecked but otherwise good 2.5 liter 89 Aries in the junkyard where you got your wiring harness and see what happens).
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Its a habit of mine. I already had the throttle body swapped out and rebuilt.
89ARIES

PreviousNext

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor