Car refuses to stop running rich.

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

Car refuses to stop running rich.

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:06 am

1. Computer works fine, no codes.
2. Checked the fuel lines underneath with my friend.
3. Replaced fuel injector for nothing.

Car still idles erractly at times (probably because of 150,125,125,14O psi issues), and never starts after sitting. I have to FORCE the accelerator to make it start, and
then message the accelerator to get the engine to stay running. It also smells like strong gasoline when starting. What the heck is going on? Regulator? I am going to
try starting tommorrow with the gas cap off.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Car refuses to stop running rich.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 pm

89ARIES wrote: never starts after sitting. I have to FORCE the accelerator to make it start, and
then message the accelerator to get the engine to stay running. It also smells like strong gasoline when starting.

If you have these consistent symptons take it to a competent mechanic who has experience with TBI Mopars of this vintage. He should be able to find the problem and fix it. Intermittent problems are tough to solve - consistent repeatable failures are easier.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Re: Car refuses to stop running rich.

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Well, here is something interesting. It ran perfect for three straight days, and then reverted to the start-up problem. Also, I had never noticed this before, but when I had to
force the accelerator this morning:

A 2 foot plume of gray rich smelling smoke billowed out of the tailpipe, and then went away. Its like the engine was flooded at start-up. This is NOT GOOD. Probably
destroying the compression in cylinders 2 and 3 as they are at 125 psi.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor