Fan will not turn off

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

Fan will not turn off

Postby adben » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:48 am

Ok, I know a guy that has this problem.
He has an '84 dodge 600 with the 2.2 T in it. So I thought I would look here.
His fan for the radiator will not shut off. The fan runs fine. Temp is fine,
But he has to open the hood and hook it up when he wants to drive it. Then when he gets to where he wants, same thing. He shuts off the car and has to open the hood and unplug it.
I told him I would help him fix it, But don't have a clue what has gone out to keep this things circuit open.
He told me that some one told him that it is one of 3 things. But he doesn't remember what they are.
Does anyone have any idea what will make this do this? And hopefully a way to eliminate one at a time to figure out which part it is.
Thank you in advance.
adben

Car Information: Crysler LeBaron Convertable '84

Re: Fan will not turn off

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi,

On the 84 2.2L cars there are two possible fan set ups, one with A/C and one without. The circuit with out A/C uses only the fan control switch mounted on the driver's side radiator tank down below the battery tray. This switch could be bad. The A/C cars uses this switch plus a fan relay mounted on the driver's side shock tower. In this case either the radiator switch or relay could be bad. Also, on the A/C cars the spark control module has an input to the fan relay, so there could be an issue with the module as well keeping the fan on. The spark control module is mounted on the driver's side fender inner shield behind the battery.

Good liuck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby adben » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Does anyone have a picture or drawing of these? Not sure which relay it might be or what kind. Thanks
adben

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:05 pm

K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:20 pm

There are two relays mounted on the driver's side shock tower. The one closest to the engine is the starter relay. The one closest to the outter fender is the fan relay. If the car has A/C there is also an A/C cutout relay mounted on the driver's side fender wall. You only want to look at relays on the shocK tower If the car does not have A/C there will only be the starter relay on the tower. Again if there is no A/C the fan is controlled only by the fan switch on the radiator tank.

Just a reminder to evryone who owns one of these cars,it really helps to have a factory shop manual to deal with these kind of problems.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby adben » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Ok I am sure I will be able to find them. Anyone know how to test the relays other than replace them one at a time?
adben

Postby Butch » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:35 pm

adben wrote:Ok I am sure I will be able to find them. Anyone know how to test the relays other than replace them one at a time?

Yea, A Snap-on scanner using the ATM mode. I'd hit the j/yard and buy a bunch of relays at a buck or 2 a peice.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor