Is it safe to bang on catalytic converter with a mallot?

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

Is it safe to bang on catalytic converter with a mallot?

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 am

I was told I could test my catalytic converter to see if it is working by banging on it with a mallot. I am told not to do that as it is ceramic. Is there any way to test
if my cat is plugged or needs a replacement? I am told a rattling noise means its bad.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Is it safe to bang on catalytic converter with a mallot?

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Guy,

Do not bang on that converter with a mallet. Yes, it is made of a ceramic material . If it is already rattling it is likely in pieces internally and bad. At your car's mileage I doubt if it is still in one piece. On your muffler question, other than noise ahole in the muffler wilkl not effect the running of the car. It may actually make it run a little better since it will lower the back pressure the engine sees. On a car with 200 k miles and the original exhaust system I would replace the whole thing form the catalytic converter on back.

By the way I read your post on replacing the front struts, you really should have the front end re-aligned. I'm concerned that one side is an inch higher than the other. You really should consider that there are many issues with the car that i think make it unsafe to be on the road. You seem like a nice guy, I'd really hate to hear you were hurt or killed in that car but i really think it's going to come to that one day.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby thenewportblues2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:01 am

Hey Guy,

I love your enthusiasm for K-cars (all older cars)! I think you need to see your ride as a restoration project. It sounds like it needs a major overhaul in every system.
thenewportblues2

Car Information: Dodge 600 1986 2.2 Coupe

Postby Butch » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:36 am

Banging on it is the same as hitting a potholes in the road, soooo..... hitting will tell you that it's coming apart. But they can go bad ( worn out ) without them coming apart. Your last smog inspection will tell you the how good you cat is. A vaccum gauge can be used to see if the cat and or muffler is plugged up too.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor