Alan the K-car losing power, coolant.

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

Alan the K-car losing power, coolant.

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

I don't know whats wrong with my car. It keeps losing coolant in a strange way. I have to keep adding coolant into the radiator
almost every day, only to have it forced into the reservoir bottle during driving. Sometimes while driving, the coolant overflows
out of the top of the reservoir bottle all over the place, and leaves a trail of puddles while I drive. To add more to all this, the damn car
now is losing power in the way that it now can't go over 73-74 mph on a full throttle uphill on I-210 between Sunland Blvd and
La Tuna Canyon. Just a few weeks ago, I could still go close to 80 up this grade. Now, it noticeably has trouble getting up to 75-80
on certain grades. My gas mileage is also poor, only 20-22 mpg now. 231,000 miles. I guess its time for an engine rebuild or junk the car.
It also needs rebuilt rack and pinion, new front struts and shocks, new engine mounts, oil leaks fixed that the family mechanic failed to fix
properly, and even though the check engine light is not on, I still have codes stored for months now of 12,22,32,and 37.

I am also hearing a lot of strange high pitched sounds.

I don't know if I can get away with just a top end rebuild, or do I need to rebuilt the whole engine as a safety measure. How much extra
would I be looking at if I have to do a ring job and new pistons?

Cosmetically, the car is still pretty good. I can't give up on the car at this point. It still starts up all the time.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor