How to convert 1987 speed sensor with newer one

As a K-car owner, you can encounter trouble with this motor. We'll help ya keep this reliable engine running.

Moderator: Webmaster

How to convert 1987 speed sensor with newer one

Postby 1987dodgearies » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:26 pm

I recently started a thread about my 1987 Aries and learned the speed distance sensor needs replacing but have the 1987 older tall type style you cant get anymore. I have a very specific question, I hope someone can answer for me.

According to the link http://www.minimopar.net/speedsensor.html
"When replacing the old style (pre 1987) speed sensor with a new unit, you will receive the new style 2-pin version. In order to install it, you have to remove the old style sensor's base from the transmission housing by removing the 10mm bolt. It will also come with a short adapter cable."

There is clearly more to it then just that, to swap over the new style 2-pin version. The speedometer shaft that extends down into the transaxle is much longer on the older version, compared to the newer one. There must be some sort of conversion involved beyond take the 10mm bolt out to pull the housing.

My car is apart and sitting in the drive, so I hope someone knows what to do.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Re: How to convert 1987 speed sensor with newer one

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 1987dodgearies » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Hello..thanks for the the reply and links.

I though about taking a ride over to Harrys-U-Pull it. They have 3 salvage yards in close distance to where I live in eastern PA.
My only worry is ending up with a sensor that's in the same shape as my existing one. Still, for about $5 bucks, I have little to loose.

I ordered one online (received it yesterday) and the seller sent me the wrong one. The one I have has the two wires going in from the side, not the plug in type. And it has the tall plastic spacer with an o-ring.

I read that you can retrofit the newer type with the 2 wire plug connecter, but its hard to find any info on exactly how you do it.
1987dodgearies

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:08 pm

Maybe this one would work. It seems to have adaptor cables and some sort of extension shaft.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Igniti ... 000wt_1236
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 1987dodgearies » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Hmmm..maybe. I know all the kits appear to come with two wiring harness cables, I presume to use the one that you require. I've seen the sensors listed as an SC5 like that one, but this is the first on that shows that shaft...which i think must be a speedometer shaft. I think it just shows the shaft removed from the body...maybe this is a press fit set up on all of them.

I'm really starting to wonder now, if you have to swap out the shorter speedometer drive shaft (which comes installed on the new part) with the longer one, which is already on the car. I have the 1981 to 1987 older tall style you cant get anymore. It uses a plastic spacer, whereas the advertised replacement parts don't.

I tried to upload a photo of my speedometer drive mechanism and sensor but it shows the board has reached its limit.
1987dodgearies

Postby 1987dodgearies » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:15 pm

Just an update to those who also run into replacing the sensor , especially those cars with the 81-87 tall sensor.

I ended up at the local auto parts salvage yard and found several cars with the sensor, still installed. I bought a tall one and also a shorter "newer style" one. I'm thinking the shorter was was a replacement at some point, since it was off an 87 Dodge Colt, if I remember correctly.

When I compared the new style to the older one, it really is a direct drop in part. The actual portion that sticks down into the trans-axles case, is exactly the same length as the older taller one. The older tall style just incorporates a plastic tower spacer which off sets the speedometer sensor/speedometer driven gear assembly. So it makes no difference which you use. The newer one also retains the speedometer gear with two plastic retaining arms, whereas the older one uses a metal spring clip. When you hold them side by side, its clear it is a direct swap, despite cosmetic differences.

I kept the short "newer style" one as a spare and used the taller one in my 87 Aries. I had to cut the two wire leads from the plug harness and soldered in the harness end off my Aries. It figured, they had to be different to make it more involved. I would highly suggest soldering as opposed to crimping them. I used a solder made specifically for electrical connections, so I'm pretty sure I won't have any loss in the correct sensor signal.

Oh...this was after having to de-solder them and then re-do my soldering job, because the first time I SOLDERED THE LEADS IN REVERSE...paying close attention saves time and aggravation. You would think I'd learn.

But anyway, the replaced sensor has completely solved the surging while braking and that feeling that the transmission is slipping when coasting around corners, such as exit ramps.
For the sake of members her and K-car owners searching the internet for advice, If you didn't know any better such symptoms could easily be mistaken for a real transmission problem. So knowing this could save someone a costly repair, especially if you end up going to one of those garages aching to fix stuff in order to over charge you. Its a matter of a $35 new part or about $8 used... if your willing to go to the junkyard. Just remember that if you go to a junkyard, I'd suggest grabbing at least 2 because your taking a gamble, as these things seem to go much like the 2.2L headgaskets do.
1987dodgearies

Postby 1987dodgearies » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:23 pm

As fate would have it, driving around a little more then a quick test drive revealed the used sensor I installed the other day is no better then the bad one I pulled off the car. Go figure,

I guess I'll be swapping this one out as well and keep my fingers crossed the spare I grabbed isn't bad as well. I highly recommend not getting them out of the junk yard for this very reason :x
1987dodgearies

Return to Chrysler 2.2/2.2 T/2.5 Motor