Intake & Exhaust (2.6L)

Never fear about what they say about the 2.6. It is a quirky motor, but we'll help ya keep it truckin.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Intake & Exhaust (2.6L)

Postby 82N83-LeBaron » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:19 am

I am a proud owner of an 83 Lebaron with the 2.6L engine. I have just recently started to tinker around with the car to get it running, it doesn’t yet run but the crank pulley turns 360 degrees so the motors not seized. I am researching the car and have found out little info. I have a question after seeing that the 2.6L has 96Hp bought new off the lot. Is there any kind of performance parts available any ware? Just basic stuff to give the car a little more kick. i know that if you want power, go with a V8 but i dont want that. I want a weekend cruiser that’s good on gas but, I want to see if I can get around 120Hp-140Hp out of it. Is this possible & if so can you direct me to a contact who can help me?
82N83-LeBaron

Car Information: 1982, 1983 Chrysler LeBaron 2.6L

Re: Intake & Exhaust (2.6L)

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:37 am

Hi there, welcome to the club. So, what is your name? Where are you located? What type of LeBaron do you own, 4dr, 2dr, convertible? Please send pics when you can. As for the 2.6, I believe there was a turbocharged version for such 80s Chrysler imports like Starion, etc. You may find this helpful. By the way, be forewarned, there is a lot of bias in the Mopar community and on this forum against the 2.6 liter and I think when you read the extensive material below you will see why. A lot of 2.6s failed, though a few have survived locally in the club from the early 80s. We are still trying to find a 2.6 expert willing to post here, as the 2.6 has been largly forgotten and comptent sources are hard to find. I wish you the best of luck:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/26.html

http://www.allpar.com/cars/chrysler/conquest.html

http://www.racetep.com/starhead.html

http://www.racetep.com/trbstart.html
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 82N83-LeBaron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:36 am

I’m from up north! Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada to be exact. My Name Is James & I’m 21yrs old. I am very pleased to hear there may be an opportunity to Put Performance into the LeBaron. I Proudly Own A 1983 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible 2.6L. I am going to restore her from the ground up with the help of my dad (he is also the owner of the same car only his is a 1982.) I wouldn’t trade the history of the car and motor for anything. Although I will restore it, it’s not going to be a winter project; I project many winters do to my crummy job but none the less I’m going to make her busty again. One thing about the LeBaron that had me laughing was the night rider mimic electronic voice alert system. Definitely one of a kind! I am definitely researching the turbo and I’m looking into a custom built header and exhaust flow system. I want to keep the car an original as possible and do some performance upgrades without compromising the originality of the car. I’m also wondering if that god awful carburetor can be replaced, my dad said the whole motor setup is connected to the original 2-barrel carburetor and to screw around with it could cause a lot of problems. But I’m wondering if anyone has a different take?
82N83-LeBaron

Car Information: 1982, 1983 Chrysler LeBaron 2.6L

Postby 88 aries » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Id go with an engine swap, swap in a carburated shelby 2.2 and run a weber carb, don't stick with that 2.6 crap, those engines are terrible trust me, the guy who is speaking before me is a non mechanic and has not dealed with such a hunk of junk
88 aries

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:53 pm

How about just saying the 2.6 is prone to problems? We are here to provide support for both motors.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Martymcflay » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm

I have also a convertible k lebaron with a mitsu engine and it work not too bad now. But I have change the head because the third valve make a crack and have swap to a non inkjet one. I had also a very early minivan plymouth with a mitsu an change the carburator to a new rebuild mitsumi one. It was costly but what a big progress.
Chrysler Le Baron 1984 2.6l convertible Auto, Dodge Aries K 2.2l Station Wagon Auto, Dodge Omni 024 2.2 1979 Manual, Dodge Shadow 2.2l T ES 2D Auto, Chrysler Le Baron 2D GTS 2.2l T Intercooler Manual.
Martymcflay

Postby Dodge Aries K » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:50 pm

2.6 ain't a bad engine. It's the god awful carburator that made it so horrid. There's kits out there to swap a Weber carb on to the 2.6. My 84 Town and Country is like that and runs phenomenal. Justin just likes to hate on it because it's a Japanese engine.
Dodge Aries K

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Dodge Aries K wrote:2.6 ain't a bad engine. It's the god awful carburator that made it so horrid. There's kits out there to swap a Weber carb on to the 2.6.

Don't forget the head crack issues, head warpage issues, balance shaft issues, chain guide wear issues / adjustment, and loss of oil pump pressure when the balance shaft chain goes.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Dodge Aries K » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:11 am

You're supposed to change the chain guides when they're worn out... nobody ever does. As for head warping/cracking, they don't like to overheat.
Dodge Aries K

Next

Return to Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine.