Carb bolt not able to thread into manifold.

Never fear about what they say about the 2.6. It is a quirky motor, but we'll help ya keep it truckin.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Carb bolt not able to thread into manifold.

Postby wjajr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 pm

After changing out timing & balance chains and sprockets, engine mounts, seals, and gaskets to put an end to a 31 year old leaking mess, I find that the bolts holding “A” shaped carburetor to valve cover brace have corroded. One bolt still is capable of catching its female thread in intake manifold; the other is just catching air.

Before I remove this carburetor and open another can of worms, what am I getting into? Do these two bolts enter coolant filled section of intake, and is the cause of all the corrosion?

I do recall removing these two bolts 15 years ago to replace the fuel pump, and at the time recall a striped like condition. Back around 1985 the carburetor was under a recall, I never knew what was done to correct a drivability issue, but suspect mechanic may have striped that bolt.

Anyone have experience with this condition?
wjajr

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Mark Cross Convertible

Re: Carb bolt not able to thread into manifold.

Postby wjajr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Well I went and fetched a 8x1.25 Heli Core kit, and proceeded to remove the anti-Christ Mikuni (spell?) carburetor. It took a few hours to remove all the plumbing, clean off old carb to manifold gasket, and free up a badly stuck suck sub EGR valve; my first interface with such a device. I got two Heli Cores installed in manifold, and now try to remember how that rat’s nest of vacuum lines goes back together. I did find some cracked vacuum hose that need replacing.

All I can say is it took less time to remove, rebuild, and reinstall a Holley 390 cfm 4v for the Dart, then removing this rigging. No wonder you young guys don’t get carburetors, and rather mess around with fuel injection. LOL
wjajr

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Mark Cross Convertible

Return to Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine.