Mechanical Fuel Pump

Never fear about what they say about the 2.6. It is a quirky motor, but we'll help ya keep it truckin.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Mechanical Fuel Pump

Postby Dodge60085 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 am

Hello,

I am Mike a new member with the K-Car club and I am curious on the expertise of the group on how to remove a Mechanical fuel pump on a Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine. It is a 1985 Dodge 600 Es with a two barrel carburator.

I have attempted to remove the Mechanical fuel pump and it was hung up on something. I had two remove the bolts to the carb and shift the carb in order to have room to remove the fuel pump. However it moved about two inches and it was stuck. I reassembled everything so that I can run the car every coulple of weeks (the mechanicalfuel pump has a small spray of gas coming out of it.) Later on I have read that the engine needs to be in TDC dont know if this would make a difference. I did not remove the valve cover and have read that it would help to have the valve cover removed. However the weather cooled off and I have not gotten back to doing it. I figured i would wait till it would get a little warmer before I would try it.

The Dodge was sold to me by a friends aunt it has 64,000 miles in change I brought it home in November of 2013 and I am slowly getting things cleaned up. Once I got the car home I have noticed a strong fuel smell and noticed fuel was coming out around the fuel pump. Optomistically, I replaced the hoses around this creative fuel hose maze and that did not help. I have added tank stabilizer for the winter. When starting the vehicle It will take a few tries to keep it going the only thing I could figure is the fuel pump is not keeping equal pressure on the fuel so the car will die. Eventaully it will stay running.

Would appreciate some help.

Mike ;)
Dodge60085

Car Information: 1985 Diodge 600 Es convertible

Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump

Postby aussiewoody » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:54 am

G'day Mike,
And welcome to the online club from me in Australia.
Nice to have new members talking.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your problem, but i also have an '85 600 with 2.6 so I am hoping for some feedback from other members to help you, and also so that I can tuck it away in case I am in a similar position to you in the future.

Pete is our resident mechanic, he is sorta like a one man band, so if he sees your question i am sure he will put you on the right track.
Good luck with your car

Gary
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi Mike, Welcome to the club.

I have never owned a 2.6 all my K car experience is with the 2.2 and 2.5's. I do know a little about mechanical fuel pumps though. I suspect that having the engine at TDC is so the pumps mechanical actuation arm clears the cam that drives it. There should be a big bolt in the center of the front crankshaft pulley, you can use a 1/2 inch breaker bar and correct size socket to move the engine by hand to TDC.

Also, having gas come out the pump's vent hole means the diaphram in the pump is going and has a hole or tear in it. This may also allow gas to get into the engine oil. So, don't drive the car around until the pump is replaced as the gas will dilute the oil and cause engine wear issues. After you change the pump , I would also change the oil and filter
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby jhkaster1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:26 am

I replaced a fuel pump on my 82 LeBaron convertible with the 2.6, last summer. It does get hung up. I removed the valve cover and I could see the fuel pump arm catching on a washer under a head bolt. I removed that bolt and washer, and it was still a struggle to remove it as the tolerances are very tight. Just by removing the valve cover, you will see everything clearly and that will give you a better idea.

---James
---James
1982 Chrysler LeBaron Medallion Mark Cross Convertible
1984 Chrysler Limousine
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Mark Cross Turbo Coupe
www.those80scars.com
jhkaster1

Car Information: 82 LeBaron MC Conv, 85 MC Turbo Coupe, 84 Limo

Postby Dodge60085 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Thank you for your replies,

I was finally able to have some free time in somewhat warmer weather in Cleveland ohio. The old Mechanical Fuel pump was removed carefully and installed very carefully. Oil was changed because of the possibility of fuel in the oil. Rubber fuel lines have been changed out.

Thank you for your replies.

Mike
Dodge60085

Car Information: 1985 Diodge 600 Es convertible

Postby aussiewoody » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:20 am

Well done mIke.
Also nice to see a couple of blokes chime in with advice isn't it?

Enjoy your Dodge
Gary
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Return to Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine.