Carb for 1982 2.6

Never fear about what they say about the 2.6. It is a quirky motor, but we'll help ya keep it truckin.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Carb for 1982 2.6

Postby jjshivver » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi All, Newbie here, JJ. I am looking for a carb for my mothers 1982 Lebaron Convert, Mark Cross, 2.6 Mitsubishi engine. (she is original owner). Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, :mrgreen:
jjshivver

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Re: Carb for 1982 2.6

Postby bluepaw lebaron » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:55 am

Welcome to the forum JJ. Marty Mopar posted some good suggestions for finding parts on March 5 on this forum. The other suggestion I have is to try your local salvage yards. Take pictures of what you are looking for and open the hoods of other 1982 vehicles you think might contain a 2.6. But you have to go and see the interchangability with your own eyes. Good luck.
bluepaw lebaron

Car Information: Chrysler LeBaron 1986 convertible

Postby carguyray » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 am

There's also a conversion kit by Weber for these. It's not a 100% bolt on conversion (it says "linkage modification needed for K cars") but there's a posting in here (if you do some searches) by a guy from Wisconsin (I think it's like Beloit or Janesville) who's done it and said it's not tough at all and he HIGHLY recommends it. I was going to do that to one of mine that needs a carb, but I had a parts car fall into my lap that has a great running 2.6 so I'm pulling the carb off that.

I know the conversion page came up under "weber carb Mitsubishi conversion" for me.

Good luck and please post (or email me) some pix of the car. I've got 2 '82s so far (Mark Cross convert. W/38K orig. miles & a Medallion 4dr. w/the rare buckets/console/sport wheel option) and have gotten very into those. I'm hoping to find a 2dr. and wagon someday so I can "collect the whole set" in the most real of ways! :)
Ray.
carguyray

Postby jjshivver » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks guys, I guess I was hoping for a bolt on replacement that I could purchase new.(or rebuilt). Anyway, I'll look thru the forum and see about this Weber conversion kit, sounds interesting, and if there are any other suggestions, keep 'em coming.
jjshivver

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi and welcome to the club.

Those Mikuni carbs. were a problem to support when the cars were brand new let alone 30 years later. You might really be better off with the Weber replacement. Rock Auto(rockauto.com) lists a rebuilt Mikuni and the option of custom rebuilding yours if you have a decent core unit. You might also look around locally or on the web for a Carb. shop to rebuild yours but, I suspect you would be into it for more money than buying the new Weber.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby carguyray » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 am

The only 'new rebuilt' carbs I could find online were within $20 of the weber carb AND kit. If I didn't have so damn many cars (projects) I'd do that in a minute, but I am going to be selling that car any way (son lost interest and bailed on it) so I'm not about to put more $ into it.
carguyray

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:26 am

Hello Ray, its been a year, when are we going to see some pictures?

Here is your 82 LeBaron 4dr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWvqGmjegmM
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby carguyray » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Damn... and here we thought the center console was a rare thing. Mine's still the only one I've seen with the "sport steering wheel" option... hey, it's something. Well, that and the fact mine's in a LOT better condition with such low mileage! :)

Yes, I have so many I need to do videos on all of mine, and I want to get them to you for archiving. I just keep waiting for 'summer' and then when it's summer I'm so busy doing things with the cars I always forget. Well, keep your fingers crossed for when it gets nice up here again.
carguyray

Postby mona's k » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:45 pm

For the O.P.

What is wrong with the current carb? Missing? Car won't start? Runs poorly? Problems at high/low speed?

My Lebaron with the 2.6 ran like sh!t after I bought it and was a bonus check from work away from buying a remaunfactored carb and having a mechanic put it on-- close to $550.00 total.

Car was rarely driven in the 5 years before I bought it so I emptied most of the gas from the tank and filled with fresh gas and 2 cans of Sea-Foam, big improvement. But still not perfect.

Did some research and my symptoms (low speed loss of power and bogging down when stepping on the gas) were possibly related to the EGR valves. Got that fixed and car ran so much better. Switched to non-ethonal gas (only vehicle out of the 6 I own that doesn't tolerate ethanol blend) start/drives almost perfect. Still dump a can of Sea-Foam every once in awhile to continue to clean the carb.

Just mentioning this in case that other issues maybe causing problems that seem to point to the carb.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Postby carguyray » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:02 am

Interesting about the EGR valve... I'll have to look into that.

My 83 had been stored for about 13 years, but sadly the owner left almost no gas in it, and just let it sit. The tank and sending unit were so rusted that 2 months of boiling out and chemically treating them did NOTHING. so, a new tank, sending unit (hens teeth), and fuel lines later the only thing keeping it from running right is supposedly the carb (per my mechanic that knows these 2.6's intimately from when he first started in the biz.

When I get it changed out in the next few months I'll post and let you know, but I may just do the EGR valve at the same time, THANKS!
carguyray

Return to Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine.