Timing chain

Never fear about what they say about the 2.6. It is a quirky motor, but we'll help ya keep it truckin.

Moderator: 89ARIES

Timing chain

Postby Dodge60085 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Hello again,

With the most recent Antifreeze hoses upgrade I have run across something newer.

When starting the motor cold or when it has been sitting for a while I hear a tapping or clicking noise when I start up the car it sounds like it is from the right side of the motor.
It last for about 3 minutes or so. It has had fresh oil in it within about a month or so. The oil was really dirty, I have recently been able to put on about one hundred and fifty miles on it.

Thought the valves might need an adjustment, but then I read somewhere that if it lasts for a short time that it might be the timing chain and that it might need an adjustment or the recommendation is a replacement.

Some helpful advice would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Mike
Dodge60085

Car Information: 1985 Diodge 600 Es convertible

Re: Timing chain

Postby dan435 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:12 am

Mike- early 2.6 chain tensioners did not hold oil pressure well and caused a knock at cold start- a modification was made that used a rubber washer between tensioner & oil pump- replacement tensioner will solve noise, but if your have a car that makes that noise and find a washer on tensioner consider oil pump replacement after testing oil pressure- similar noises can come from balance chain but don't go away, balance chain drives oil pump and is important
Hope this helps
Dan
dan435

Car Information: sadly none- former 83 reliant 2dr 4spd stick

Re: Timing chain

Postby surgeman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:01 am

I had the same issue about 20 years ago with a Lebaron 4 -Door with the 2.6 and had the same problem then..Clanky loud on cold starts and as it warmed up went away...Yes the tensioner gets weak but most of the time it's bad guides in it...Depending on mileage they start wearing down right at 120,000 and you get the clanky cold start noise..You can pick the whole kit up from Napa for about $100 and it's not to terrible to replace...
surgeman

Car Information: 1985 Dodge 600,1985 Chrysler Lebaron Both Vertible

Return to Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine.