New 1984 Lebaron 2.6 Owner with questions

Never fear about what they say about the 2.6. It is a quirky motor, but we'll help ya keep it truckin.

Moderator: 89ARIES

New 1984 Lebaron 2.6 Owner with questions

Postby xnavyss » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Hello All

I just recently purchased a 1984 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Woody with the 2.6L. It's in the shop getting a Used Car Inspection. However, I was just called and told it has some rust issues, AC leak and the Carb needs some adjustment. They wanted me to see the rush before he did anymore checking to include checking the brakes since it appeared there was some rust on the brake lines.

The shop is well known, tells me the carb is electronic and they do not have the proper equipment to hook the carb up to for a diagnostic and adjustment. He suggested I call Dodge.

I called Dodge and was told by the service guy, that a 30 year old Lebaron does not have computer electronics Carb.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Joe
xnavyss

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Lebaron, Mark Cross, 2.6

Re: New 1984 Lebaron 2.6 Owner with questions

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi Joe,
Welcome to the club, you'll find the help you need to keep your 84 running well. Those convertibles are very nice cars.

Rusted brake lines are very common up here in New Hampshire where the roads are covered in salt every winter. The lines in my 99 Dodge Ram only lasted about 7 years. I've replaced all the lines in my 86 Plymouth Reliant. It's not a big deal to replace brake lines. All the lines in your car are 3/16" common steel lines. Any competent mechanic should be able to replace what needs to be.

The Mikuni carburetors on the 2.6 did indeed have a very simple electronic control system. These cars were some of the first to have computer control systems, although by today's standards they are very primitive. No special test equipment is required other than a simple volt-ohm test meter and the factory service manual. If you are going to keep your car, I would suggest you find a copy of the factory manual as it is full of information on how to service these cars that today's mechanics have no clue about. The 84 manual is a two book set and you want the one that covers the front wheel drive cars. They often turn up on Ebay in both original book and electronic form on a DVD. Your local dodge dealer has long ago forgotten these cars were ever made. I would look for an independent shop where the owner is in his late fifties or early 60's who will remember these cars.

Good luck with your car and feel free to post any specific questions you have.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby aussiewoody » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:07 pm

A couple of good replies and good advice. Seems the fog around those 2.6 engines is not going to clear in a hurry. We had them here in Australia and they have a good name as reliable engines. I don't think that ours were laden down with as much pollution gear as your cars though (although our politicians are trying hard to play catchup - duh!).

Good luck and keep us posted.
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Return to Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine.