2.6 valve cover gasket

Never fear about what they say about the 2.6. It is a quirky motor, but we'll help ya keep it truckin.

Moderator: 89ARIES

2.6 valve cover gasket

Postby mona's k » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:10 pm

This summer noticed a burnt oil smell after shutting the car (1982 Lebaron conv.) off. Getting ready to put it away for the winter in a few weeks and thought I would try to fix the problem which appears to be that the valve cover gasket is leaking oil yet the oil spot is about the size of a dime even after parked for a week. Tried to tighten the bolts but no help. Picture of the gasket shows 2 half moon things along with the gasket. Before I get in over my head is there any trick or things to watch out for when changing this gasket? Any particular brand that people have had good/bad luck with?
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Re: 2.6 valve cover gasket

Postby Kwagon2 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:06 pm

The half moon thingies are for the end of the cylinder head where the camshaft sprocket lives once you get the valve cover off it'll all become clear. When you remove things to clear the way for valve cover removal make note of where it all went .
Clean off the outside of the valve cover as best you can to prevent debris from falling into the engine etc. , just common sense stuff. Don't pry the valve cover off as you may damage the gasket mating surface since its all aluminum If it won't move tap the sides with a soft face hammer to loosen. Use care when cleaning the gasket surface once the valve cover is off and degrease the gasket mating surfaces. The gasket is a molded rubber piece and it gets pushed into the slot in the valve cover perimeter, degrease that slot too and make sure there are no gasket remnants in the slot. Place a dab of RTV at the corners of the cylinder head where the valve cover meets the camshaft bearing cap. Reassemble don't forget to install the ring gaskets for the bolts. Thats all the tips I can think of just be careful and meticulous in your work.
As far as gasket brands go I know of no specific brand that has performed badly... have fun!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: 2.6 valve cover gasket

Postby mona's k » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info.

Once I put it away for the winter I will have several months to work on it.
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Return to Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine.