where did my spark go

Never fear about what they say about the 2.6. It is a quirky motor, but we'll help ya keep it truckin.

Moderator: 89ARIES

where did my spark go

Postby lilisaacray » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:20 pm

i got no spark. replaced everything plugs, wires, distributor. coil still no spark where do i go know
lilisaacray

Car Information: 83 chrysler lebaron 2.6 liter convertible

Re: where did my spark go

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi
Blindly replacing parts has never been a real remedy for anything...its an expensive way to do things and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't .....
In your case you will need to do some checks.... The 2.6 Mitusbishi uses an ignition module (called an IC igniter)in the distributor and it switches primary current (coil primary) in response to a timing signal from a magnetic pickup also in the distributor. The checks you need to do.... With the ignition switch "on" measure the voltage at the negative coil terminal the voltage should be the same as battery voltage if its 3 volts or less the IC igniter is defectve. Check the positive side of the coil voltage should be at least 12 volts or battery voltage if not you have switch or wiring issues. You can check the coil by using a jumper from the negative side of the coil to a good engine or chassis ground , make momentary contact while holding the coil secondary wire about 1/4" from ground you should get a spark. If you don't , disconnect the distributor wires only from the coil primary connection (small studs ) and try again. If the coil has volts etc. you should get a spark. Another check , Place a D.C. volt meter on the battery terminals If your battery voltage drops to 9 volts or lower when cranking the engine will not start indicating a defective battery or one needing a charge etc. You mentioned that you have replaced the distributor assembly so you should have a new ignitor so I would go back to what you find at the coil and perhaps ignition switch or wiring issues. The firewall bulkhead connector is a good place to start.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Mitsubishi 2.6 Engine.