Engine Light!?!

Come here for specific needs for the 1st generation K-cars. 1981-1985. For Fuel injection, refer to 86-89 K-cars.

Moderator: Webmaster

Engine Light!?!

Postby modernicy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Hello everyone, I have a 1983 Dodge 400 2.2 carb with an issue. My engine light pops on sometimes at highway speeds (65 mph+); it will flicker, fade in and out, or just stay on. Once the engine light pops on it will usually go off between the speeds of 55-25 but when the car comes to a stop it will flicker and or stay on. The odd thing is that if I cut the car off the light will go out and stay out until I go back up to highway speeds. The car has been maintained well; it has a new: cooling system, alternator, oil pressure switch, fuel pump, O2 sensor, fuel filter, timing belt, plugs, wires, various hoses, air pipe from exhaust manifold to air-pump, gaskets and seals.

I have also noticed this problem and I wonder if they are related; when I start the car it fires up but then begins to lope and die out until I give it gas. It continues to lope until the engine warms. I notice sometimes when I come to a stop if the windows or top is down I smell an exhaust odor (not really rich smelling but not really like a clean burn too lean?) When the previous owner replaced the catalytic converter the air pipe was not connected... I wonder if this could be an issue or if maybe the egr valve is failing?? Any suggestions are welcome.
modernicy, 83 dodge 400 convertible owner
modernicy

Car Information: 1983 Dodge 400 convertible

Re: Engine Light!?!

Postby SuperK » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 pm

"...when I start the car it fires up but then begins to lope and die out until I give it gas.
It continues to lope until the engine warms...."

That would be the choke on the carburetor,it may need adjustment.
It probably is closing too much causing it to flood until it opens up when warmed up.
1968 Chrysler Newport Custom 383/727
1973 Satellite Custom wagon 318 3 on da tree!!
1983 Dodge 400 Coupe
2006 Chrysler 300C HEMI!!
SuperK

Car Information: 1983 Dodge 400 coupe 2.2l auto

Re: Engine Light!?!

Postby SuperK » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:24 pm

As for the engine light,check and clean all the connections at the ECU which located between the battery and left fender.
Any corrosion can play with the computer.
Does your cooling fan engage?? If it is not working when it should,it can trip the engine light when the engine gets hot.
Check the temp sender unit for the fan.
The fan should kick in once the temp reaches 210 F .Yes it takes a lot of heat for the fan to come on.
Also make sure your fan belt it properly adjusted.Any slack can cause overheating and the light will come on.
Just a part of process of elimination,hope this helps.
1968 Chrysler Newport Custom 383/727
1973 Satellite Custom wagon 318 3 on da tree!!
1983 Dodge 400 Coupe
2006 Chrysler 300C HEMI!!
SuperK

Car Information: 1983 Dodge 400 coupe 2.2l auto

Return to 1981-1985 Carbed K-Car. Drivetrain and Body Needs