2004 Paintjob starting to fail. What to do?

Come here for 1986-1989 K Drivetrain and Body Part Needs.

Moderator: Webmaster

2004 Paintjob starting to fail. What to do?

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:20 pm

I had Alan totally repainted by someone in their backyard back in May 2004. This paintjob has failed and started to go. It has always chipped and scratched easily. Now, only
on the hood and part of the roof, the clearcoat has started to peel up like an advancing edge line getting wider and wider. Near edge line, tiny circles started to show. This really started two years ago very imperceptibly, but started getting wider with maximum speed starting 6 months ago. It for the most part didn't grow between 2009-2011. My question is, will TR3 Resin polish stop or slow it down? How long is a good quality paintjob suppossed to last? Assuming he is still in business, I think my only option is to go to Miguel for spot repair since paint shops now charge $1000 for a paintjob that falls apart in a week and $10,000 for a custom one. Miguel painted my car in 2004 for $950, but I hear now he charges $2000. Very unhappy about all this. :evil:
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: 2004 Paintjob starting to fail. What to do?

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:36 pm

8 years is not bad for a repaint considering the car is left outside all the time in southern CA. I doubt any polish is going to slow it down.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Pete in NH » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi Guy,

As K Car Wagon said 8 years for a moderately priced paint job isn't too bad. Paint today is very expensive and first line paints from PPG or Dupont can run in the $400 to $500 a gallon range depending on color, some like reds are even more. Good clear coat is also expensive. Given that materials today can run $1000 for a repaint even $2000 is not out of line and may even be on the low side. There are less expensive second line paints and clear coats even from the major suppliers but they will not hold up as long. Your also in California which is a whole other ball game in what paint technologies the state allows in terms of air pollution concerns. My take on it is the more enviornmentally friendly paints and clear coats may not be as durable especially in the second line paints. There is a big push on to water borne paints out there and it's going to be interesting to see how all that turns out in terms of durability

Post some pictures of Alan's paint and the peeling clear coat so we can see what your talking about. You might be able to refinish only the affected panels if your not too fussy about color matching. usually its the hood , roof and trunk lids that take a beating from the sun. The ultra violet rays can really do a job on lower line clear coat.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks. This is criminal, paint job fees. Paint is suppossed to protect the car from rust.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Well, when you think about it automotive paint does a remarkable job given the conditions it is exposed to. what other paint system can hold up to beating sun,salt, bird droppings, industrial pollution and other corrosive chemicals and still look decent after 10 to 15 years. today's automotive paints with a good clear coat on it doesn't need yearly polishing and waxing like the older paints did to look decent. The draw back is they are expensive and complicated to apply properly to get the intended results and our friends at the EPA have done nothing to keep the costs down. Any company manufacturing chemical compounds today will tell you it's a costly business to meet EPA requirements.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Return to 1985-1989 Fuel Injection/MPI Cars. Drivetrain and Body Needs