Can a K-car run without a computer?

Re: Can a K-car run without a computer?

Postby karns » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:18 am

I guess! I never would have thought to do that. Are you a master with duct tape too?
karns

Postby djvant » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:36 am

Never used the stuff. But in a pinch you never know.
djvant

Car Information: 1988 Aries Wagon,1986 lebaron Convertable,Etc.

Postby karns » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:40 am

honestly, the duct tape, and some metal cloths hangers are the only thing holding the back bumper on my turbowagon that my mom uses. I need to make a pipe support structure to weld it to to fix it properly.
karns

Postby bamman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:00 am

djvant wrote:True story.
About 1990 I had a 1985 Lebaron GTS Turbo. We went for a week holiday to Newfoundland. About a 25 hr drive and then a ferry trip to the island. After 4 days I lost all power from the computer and had no fuel or spark. The only garage in town had dirt floors and a hand tire changer. I was told if I ordered the part it would get there in about 10 days. There was a hardware store. I bought two light switchs and about 15 ft extension cord, some dumdum. I ran the hot wire from the battery throught the switch straight to the fuel pump in the tank.The dumdum was used to secure the wire connections . Then again I ran another hot wire through the other switch straight to the + side of the ignition coil. Both switches were located in the consul.
Proceedure, Ign switch on, Fuel on,( pump buzzing) Spark on. Turn the key and she starts right up. The rest seemed to work just fine. Drove straight home with no issues. The next week I took care of it properly. Changed the modual.
I don,t know what I could have done if it were a smec. But on the 85 it worked.
So, Does that mean that a k car can run without a computer??????????

Honestly it sounded like your ASD relay was bad and by running power to the + side of the coil you bypassed it allowing the car to start.
bamman

Car Information: 1990 Dodge Omni, 1991 Dodge Daytona

Postby djvant » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:20 am

Nope, No ASD relay problem. Good thought though.
djvant

Car Information: 1988 Aries Wagon,1986 lebaron Convertable,Etc.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Carla » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 am

The answer is 'yes', according to a machinists' web-site I found on the internet awhile back.

Apparently, a version of the K car engine was built which used a carburetter instead of the computer-controlled fuel injection. This, apparently, was for use in some third-world countries, or for an industrial application for the engine........or some such thing. Doubtless, anyone who is good at auminium fabrication and argon-welding (heli-arc) can use the injector casting as a base for a fabricated intake manifold to suit a carburetter.

A carbie only 'knows' that it sees 'x' cfm air-flow, and will meter 'y' amount of fuel into the air flow, according to the jet sizes fitted, so any carbie which will adapt to the carburetted intake manifold and is suitable for the air-flow required by a 2.2 litre engine at the max revs desired, will be suitable, with appropriate jetting.

There is a bit of machining involved, but the points distributor from some model of older VW engine (I forget which model they found to work best, with a suitable advance-curve for the 2.2 Chrysler engine), can be fitted-up, and will run well.

A manual switch must be fitted for the electric fuel pump, and some throttle-linkage fabrication done.

The machinist who did this re-work of the K car engine said that his client was quite happy with the car's performance.

Naturally, there was a bit of work required to establish the correct carbie jetting, and the optimal set advance, and advance-curve for the distributor.

However, if you and your car are located in California, any modification of this nature, even tho it will make the engine run a bit better, and get slightly better fuel mileage, is a serious criminal offence, under the maze of 'smog' regulations here.

cheers

Carla
Carla

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant

Previous

Return to General Car Discussions