Whats with this cam weakness I hear everyone talk about?

Whats with this cam weakness I hear everyone talk about?

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:26 am

What is a cam? I hear it cracks. Whats all the publicity I hear about pre 83 K-cars being susceptible to bad cams? How does it affect reliability. Can someone give me an honest answer?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Whats with this cam weakness I hear everyone talk about?

Postby 1of10K » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:40 am

The cam is what you will find if you take off the valve cover. It is turned by the timing belt from the lower crankshaft and basically restricts the valves from flying out! My cam was extremely worn, sounded like a bunch of baseball cards stuck in bicycle spokes, because the cam followers were loose and slapping metal to metal on the badly worn cam lobes. I think the former owner didn't care for it as he should have, or didn't change the oil or add any either. The '82 coupe I recently sold had slightly more miles that my '81, but with no wear on it's cam, but it had one owner who cared for it.

I don't think the early Ks had a bad cam design, just alot of bad owners as the cars got old and people really didn't care for them anymore.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby Butch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:13 pm

The cams break due to head warpage cause by overheating. Time for another head if the cam breaks. Any aluminum head well warp if it gets hot enough. Thus it's very inportant to maintance the cooling sys. What alot of people don't know is these engines are noisy from the get go and think they have cam, lifter problems. The high perf. cam ( S60 ) slider Mopar used to sell did wear out fast thu. A cam should turn with absolutely NO resistance in the cam bores.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby turbokcar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:41 pm

before I rebuilt the engine on my 2.2 turbo the engine it was running bad, when I took it apart I found out that the cam lobes were wore out, some more than the others, so each of the 4 cylinders was doing it's own thing. The moral of the story is watch your cam shaft, it will wear out.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Return to General Car Discussions