(Does not concern us, but it will later). No more engines.

(Does not concern us, but it will later). No more engines.

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:09 pm

Sad, but true. I am not going to beat a dead horse about cash for clunkers, but there is a major issue that does not concern us now, but will in the future. The dealerships
are now being forced to destroy perfectly good used motors from the cars the government destroys by putting a toxic chemical into the engine, running the car for 7 minutes,
and thus seizing the motor. Nobody seems to care that this is going to severly make engines unavailable for project cars or what not. And of course, people will say
gas guzzling post84 cars like Crown Victorias are not classics, but they are and now restorers will not be able to get engines. Sure, parts will be available, but what good is that
if we can't even use the engine? Major issue. In Germany, the cash for clunkers program overfilled landfills with used parts that no one was buying because they destroyed
most of the old cars. The US dealers are opposing this engine disposal scam simply because they don't want to pay the money to do it, but there is nothing they can do
because the President of the United States stipulated that the engine must be destroyed in the tacky bill he put on a war spending bill to ensure that no car was resold through fraud.
Your thoughts?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: (Does not concern us, but it will later). No more engines.

Postby Butch » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Start stocking spares now, besides I doubt if they'll get all the engines out there.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby karns » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:31 am

I broke down and cried when I saw a 1972 Cadillac get killed. I have a soft spot in my heart for all of the 1971-73 cadillacs. They even killed a Buik Grand National GNX. They even killed some almost new Ford F-150 Roushes. It is so retarded. They could have given them to people who can't afford a car. But no, they had to destroy them. I would have gladly given that Cadillac a home.
karns

Postby capev86 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:10 am

unless it was a complete wreck and nothing left to salvage to begin with, then the poeple responsible should be shot for destroying a gnx.....those cars are modern collectibles.....last of the musclecar era if you discount the modern reincarnations from the big three.

if you are going to save an engine, save a later one. they started phasing in roller camshafts in '88 and all 1989 and newer 2.2/2.5's are built on the common block which is far stouter and most feature cross driling in the block and cyl head for better cooling (a trick introduced on the turbo engines earlier on to counteract the siamesed cylinder arrangement and lack of water jackets) . its not like these cars need to be numbers matching....they will never be THAT collectible. and they are not gone yet. i am less worried about getting an engine to rebuild than finding bodies. if you come across a good body, don't let it get junked....park it in a safe place and sit on it!
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Return to General Car Discussions