My brothers 87 Toyota Corolla is DYING!! Or is it?

My brothers 87 Toyota Corolla is DYING!! Or is it?

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Well, my brothers beat to a pulp rusticated dented moldy 87 Corolla is having some MAJOR problems
at 340,000 miles. My brother just dropped it off at the shop. The engine is losing compression. The oil was black. Its rattling. I have to get some pics of this car. I have harped on my brother to check the oil, but he doesn't. I do see him looking for a new car on the computer. This is bad news for all of us as I don't want us to lose a car as we really need 5 cars as a family. Also, when he puts the car in reverse, it shimmys violently
and starts losing power. What a car! Flooded in Hurricane Irene in Florida in 1999. Rusty but trusty?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: My brothers 87 Toyota Corolla is DYING!! Or is it?

Postby Butch » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:15 pm

He should be looking for a K car, don't you think.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:20 pm

He says their slow, junky hamster boxes.
89ARIES

Postby dodgeariesguy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:47 pm

89ARIES wrote:He says their slow, junky hamster boxes.

And an 87 Corolla isn't? :lol: Thats the best laugh I've had this month. Sorry but the problems he's having are almost clearly poor maintenance. Best thing is to throw it away like the used Kleenex box it is. Didn't it have like 65HP. I think it would be best if it "mysteriously" catches on fire some night. Sorry I'm still laughing right now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:57 pm

My Dad has poured so much money into this thing. He had the head gasket done on it last year and
the engine partially rebuilt by that "disreputable" mechanic that almost blew up my car during my roadtrip
fiasco. Why is the engine just now having a failed compression? I don't think my brother ever checked the oil, except once maybe. Maybe he ran the engine low on oil? I will be sad to see the car go, unless my Dad
decides to rebuild it again. I see lots of 87 Corollas on the roads around here, but none look as bad as ours.
Also, I thought the Jap engine could take almost anything. I don't get it. I definitely want to make a vid of it
because here in So.Cal, a beat-up jalopy is the last thing you'll see due to our stringent beauracy. I can't believe this car passed smog this month. I am not even sure how my brother did it. The good news about my neighborhood is that they are mostly Mexican and they break some laws to get by. One even has 10 classic
cars in his front yard and up on jacks. Highly illegal in LA, but the street is so congested and neglected that
so far the city has left us alone. We have no illegal parking areas here, yet. I actually really love this Corolla as their is something fun about a jalopy. Now, if only it had missing body panels from rust then it would
be really perfect. I will takes some pics and upload them for you guys. We can call it death to Toyota if you want, in fun of course.
89ARIES

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 pm

Oh yeah, this was my grandfather's car. It has sentimental value. My grandfather, Guy J.C.Coulombe,
WWII veteran, died in 1996. I still miss him and dream about him a few times every year.
89ARIES

Postby taxiguy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:11 pm

340,000 miles is a LOT! Just the fact that it's lasted that long is amazing.... well not that amazing actually, it is a Toyota afterall. Those things are the most bulletproof cars ever built. I think if it's gotten that bad and he's had it for that long he should throw in the towel and buy another Toyota, maybe ugrade to a Camry or even an Avalon (though that would be at the risk of making himself look like an 80-year-old man). I don't think he should should buy a K-car at all, if he wants something reliable and something that will last him a long time another Toyo is the way to go.
taxiguy
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo

Postby Butch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 am

89ARIES wrote:He says their slow, junky hamster boxes.

Tell him to buy a VIPER than. :lol:
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 88 aries » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:35 am

im sure davidsfarm would like another toyota :lol:
88 aries

Postby dodgeariesguy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:50 am

88 aries wrote:im sure davidsfarm would like another toyota :lol:

A replacement for the Cressida prehaps? :lol:
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Return to General Car Discussions