Government Sponsored Distruction

Re: Government Sponsored Distruction

Postby taxiguy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 am

Yes but I have no idea what that has to do with profit margins, which is what I was talking about... :?:
taxiguy
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo

Postby 88 DODGE » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:11 pm

taxiguy wrote:Actually I read that the Focus loses money for Ford for every one they sell. (or at least the previous gen did, maybe they're making profits with the new 2008+ models)

My parents own a 2001 Focus with only 45K KM.. the car that replaced our K. Some problems here and there they say its cheaply built compared to the Aries. Although how and why would ford sell a car that does not make profit?? The focus does seem pretty popular, it's at a pretty competitive price too compared its competitors mazda3, honda civic. Maybe slim profits now?
88 DODGE

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries LE

Postby taxiguy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:49 pm

88 DODGE wrote:
taxiguy wrote:Actually I read that the Focus loses money for Ford for every one they sell. (or at least the previous gen did, maybe they're making profits with the new 2008+ models)

Although how and why would ford sell a car that does not make profit??

Becuase they relied on enough sales of profitable vehicles (like trucks) to make up for the losses on the Focus. That's why when truck sales started to go down and Focus sales went up, they were screwed. It's stupid decisions like this that are why the American auto industry is in the trouble it's in right now.
taxiguy
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo

Postby jt1911 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:55 pm

I believe that the sales/losses involved with the Focus have alot more to do with CAFE standards than profit or loss.Each of the big automakers have to combine all their vehicle's EPA estimated mileage and then divide that n umber up.I don't know what the minimum MPG number has to be,but you can rest assured that the Focus exists mainly so that Ford can keep building/selling Super Duties and King Ranch F 150s.
The last lot I worked for was a Ford lot.I got to drive most of the models.Out of all of them I like the Fusion the best.I normally don't dig sedans,but the Fusion is a quality product.As for the Focus,it's mostly Mexican or at least it was as of 07.But in that price range it's probably the best thing goin'I mean would you rather have a Ford in the driveway or a Kia? I really enjoyed driving the Focus.My favorite was the bright yellow three door .It is worth mentioning that out of the top five cars traded for under the CFC program the Focus is number two and the only American car on the list.I for one am proud of Ford for being smart enough to not get in bed with the Governmet.
Meanwhile on a seperate not.here in the middle Ga. area where I live the deals on left over 09 Mopars is crazy.A new Caliber can be had for just under $10,000 once all rebates are included.Left over PT Cruisers are even cheaper.This is probably due to the PT bein' discoed.But so what? If i had the cash/credit I would jump on one. I mean to be able to get a new American car with some options for the same money or less than you would pay for a base Hyundai or Kia.That's an easy choice.
jt1911

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries

Postby dodgeariesguy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:38 pm

[quote="jt1911"]...This is probably due to the PT bein' discoed...quote]
Chrysler announced the discontinuation of the PT Cruiser, altogether, on January 12, 2009.

On July 6, 2009, Chrysler Group LLC, however, reverted its decision to discontinue the model and will continue to make the model past 2009.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby HeatherXoX » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:32 pm

bastards
HeatherXoX

Postby Butch » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:49 am

^^^^^^ I'm in love. !!!!!!
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Previous

Return to General Car Discussions