1985-1989 Chrysler 2.5 K-Cars overheat easily. Solution.

1985-1989 Chrysler 2.5 K-Cars overheat easily. Solution.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:24 am

I am thoroughly convinced that 2.5 K-cars overheat easily. Hemidude thinks they don't. Chief says they do. Time to start a healthy flaming discussion between a non-mechanic (thats me),
Chief (who has actually cooled his K-car well), and hemidude (who has a lot of experience and thinks that K-cars can run over 200 degrees without blowing headgaskets if they have a good
cooling system.) Maybe hemidude is right, maybe with a Mopar Performance gasket they can safely run at about 200 degrees. Hemidude thinks having a K-car run at 180 degrees is bad for it.
Chief doesn't think so, and was on me for over a year to get a 180 degree thermostat and dual cord radiator and is getting a double fan. Let me tell ya, my worst nightmare with this overheating
car has been that stupid gauge since I got the car 90,000 miles ago always going up to 2/3rds to 3/4ths before the needle came down. Then, in 2004 at 62,000 miles, the headgasket blows badly. The
head was replaced and some valve work was done. I am sure the pistons are still original so I guess my car can claim to have lived 140,000. Then, last summer, the stupid things starts overheating again.
So, I get it fixed (bad cooling system), and the car seems stable for a year, except now and again the needle goes up to 5/6ths before coming down. I watched the guage like a hawk. This summer, the
car starts overheating again and the headgasket just starts to go. Caught in time and my car is now recovering from major heart surgery and I hope to get it running again as reliably before. Unless someone
can totally prove me wrong, and no offense to all the techs that no more than me as I know nothing about cars, but all of you with a 2.5 K-car engine should:

GET A 180 DEGREE THERMOSTAT, A DOUBLE CORD RADIATOR, AND TWO FANS. THESE 2.5 ENGINES ARE GOOD, BUT THE COOLING SYSTEMS TOTALLY SUCK!

I am now open to constructive criticism. I still won't feel better until the guage stays at 1/2 and thats it!
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: 1985-1989 Chrysler 2.5 K-Cars overheat easily. Solution.

Postby turbokcar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm

And people ask me, Why did you put a real water temp gauge in you car? DUH, I like to know what the temp really is , and I hate changing head gaskets.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby Butch » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:04 pm

HMMMM, my 2.5 stays cool with a smaller radiator than yours. Maybe I'm in the twilight zone. :lol: :lol: But than again I maintence my car RELIGIOUSLY. Once a year cooling sys flush.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby dodgeariesguy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:56 pm

I've never had my 2.5 go above operating temps, maybe its my climate but I dont really think its a problem, as well I don't hear from people that come in the shop with them never seem to have any problems in that department, but again most likely the climate plays the major part in how warm you car runs but I'm also like Butch with the RELIGIOUSLY servicing the car.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby turbokcar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Do you trust the idiot lights in your car?
My car overheated due to a bad fan switch.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby Butch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Guy, you shouldn't be telling these people to get these parts. Your car has problems due to negect. :roll: If the cooling system had been serviced CORRECTLY since the car was new, you wouldn't be discussing this now. You need to think about what you want to do about keeping this car alive or getting another car. The headgasket we put on the car is a band-aid fix to keep you going for now since you're so broke. My advice to you is to buy Rick's car and keep it MAINTENCED.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 88 aries » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 pm

all the problems with over heating are BS, if everything on the cooling system is working good you should have no problems, of all the K-cars that i have been around none of them have overheated.
88 aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Other than a 23 year old radiator cap losing its seal, my car has never ventured above normal.

And we all know I have replaced everything else on my car, "except" the radiator.... :lol:

I watch that temp gauge religiously, the first sign it is going above normal, it is going to the side of the road.

I also have my radiator flushed and filled yearly and check it monthly!!!

I have noticed my thermostat looks (from what I can see of it) old. I plan on replacing it, and my radiator hoses later this fall, as a preventative measure.

last thing I want to do is bake the bitch!!! :lol:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Return to General Car Discussions