how many k-cars will be left in 2020

how many k-cars will be left in 2020

Postby 88 aries » Wed May 21, 2008 8:03 pm

we all dont know this but, im woundering how many k-cars will be left in 2020

what do you think
88 aries

Re: how many k-cars will be left in 2020

Postby 89ARIES » Thu May 22, 2008 12:38 am

Well, if you look at the stats on my website, I posted an estimate of how many K cars I believe to be left as of 2006. By 2020, I believe the woody K cars and convertibles will outnumber the sedans and coupes. As rare as the convertibles are, they our not really that rare. The 1982-1983 Dodge 400 4dr sedan and some of the rare models like Chrysler E-Class are the ones are really almost impossible to find now. Unfortunately, nobody cares about 4dr sedans. I really want to find a 1982 Dodge 400 4dr Sedan or an 83 Executive Limo that the club could buy and put in a museum. I think by 2020, you will probably see K cars as often as a Ford Pinto. However, I think the Woody K cars will be popular at car shows. Out of the 3 million K cars ever made, I estimated there to be about 200,000 left in the USA as of 2006. I think by about 2020, there should be 40,000 left. Lets hope gas does not go sky high and they invent some car that gets 100mpg (just kidding). It all comes down to age, crushing rate, and how many people really care about these cars. I am glad the convertibles and woodys are gaining recognition. I think very few of those will be lost between now and 2020. The four door sedans however really need to be salvaged whenever possible.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby RichG » Tue May 27, 2008 11:39 pm

I think you may be right. The cars are disintegrating, and you have to care about them to keep them up. I can't find any parts for mine in any yard (and there are a few in Jersey), : they were crushed long ago. I found a Mark Cross edition 1984 (electronic dash, gold on tan) convertible that the owner was allegedly donating to a charity, (he let me take as many trim parts as I needed, and I was grateful). Love mine....
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby 89ARIES » Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 am

We are doing a little better than that in California, but not for long. Tom Chrysler knows of some junkyards in California that still has some dead 80s K cars in them. Unfortunately, like everywhere else, most people don't care about these cars. However, the club now has some followers here in the LA area that allows us to have shows. One of our members drives an 82 Aries everyday. Also, I see quite a number of the rare Town and Country wagons running around. I even see an 81 or 82 once in a blue moon. Yes, though by 2020 most Ks will be gone, we will keep the last of them and we will pass them down to future generations.
89ARIES

Postby dodgeariesguy » Thu May 29, 2008 8:49 pm

Well I sure can tell you mine will be around till at least then because well it is in well enough shape to last. :) Plus with the backup engine the motor will never fail the body not so much. :(
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 89ARIES » Fri May 30, 2008 4:10 am

Had a rare treat today. What do I see coming into the intersection but a nice looking RARE 1982-1983 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe. Red vinyl and red paint. All original with the wear of a 10 year old vehicle. 81-84 K cars are now almost nonexistent, except for convertibles.
89ARIES

Postby tanc83 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:35 am

Well I am hoping my LiL' Woodie will be around. I have had some major floor rust issues. I had new metal welded in so I hope she holds out. There has appeared recently here in Reedsburg Wi. A clean 82 Dodge 400 coupe. Could no way have been a local car all it's life or would have been chewed up long ago. I wish K's would get the credit they deserve. Someday maybe.
tanc83

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler LeBaron Town&Country Convertible

Postby TomChrysler » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:53 am

Thanks for the plug, Guy!

Yes, California is starting to fill the wrecking yards with K-Cars. Trouble is....they cycle the cars so often that they rarely last a week or two in the yards. Then off they go to the crusher. I was lucky enough to find a near perfect 86 Town and Country wagon with the Mark Cross package. It was beautiful! Looked like it had been garage kept. My wagon has the self-leveling suspension, so I was glad to be able to find it on the one in the wrecking yard. I made sure I pulled the entire unit (compressor, air shocks, air lines and fittings, and all linkages). I thought $75 was a lot to pay, but I was glad to get it, as very few K's had this feature. There was a car identical to this one (Mark Cross and all) that sold on e-Bay for over 4 Grand!

So, if you find a K car in the wrecker, pull all of the spare parts that you can. Chances are you'll never see them again.

Giving you my best,

Tom
TomChrysler
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Town and Country

Postby terrymirkov » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:15 am

It IS alarming to know that are futer parts sources are being diminished every day. I have tried to buy whole cars at the junk yard but was told many times that once they come in that's it for them. I like to go to the yards to clear my mind some days... there is a sad quietness there...all those ghosts of former glory...you can imagine lives lived and days passed in the still between the rows of cars....row after row car after car once in a while you see one there and you just ask yourself why is this car here...it should be in someone's garage being restored.................its sad
terrymirkov

Car Information: 84 and 86 silver converts 2.6 and 2.2turbo

Postby 88 aries » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:08 am

All of us care about the k-car,with us driving the k-cars. people are starting to realize maybe its time for k-cars to be famous once again, not to be crushed or demolished.

LONG LIVE THE K-car
88 aries

Next

Return to General Car Discussions