a sad day in a junkyard

a sad day in a junkyard

Postby 88 aries » Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 am

ok i was taking parts of an 86 aries SE for my reliant, so just for the heck of it i took a walk around the crushing cars and i found among the following

1984 dodge 600 2.6 litre with digital dash

1988 chrysler lebaron 2.5 litre turbo 4 door

i cant save them all but at least they saved one for me, which i requested
88 aries

Re: a sad day in a junkyard

Postby blazin bill » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:21 am

Hello fellow K car enthusiasts! Today was a sad day for me,too. I own a 1982 Lebaron Mark Cross convertible. I bought the car new. It has been well cared for over the years, but at times has suffered damages from Mother Nature and careless motorists, so I have been fortunate to have a source for replacement parts in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, about 180 miles from where I live. I bought my car on my birthday and each year I make a pilgrimage to Shady Nook Chrysler Salvage in OK City. I have had many classic Chrysler cars over the years and have been buying parts from them since 1978. Today I was heading for my yearly birthday parts pilgrimage and I called the salvage yard to tell them I was on my way. They informed me ALL K CARS HAVE BEEN CRUSHED!!! I no longer have a source for parts for my beloved car. I just don't understand why people have no respect for these cars!! I'm so glad to be a member of this club, and I hope someday people will respect the K-car and salvage owners will try to preserve them!! I'm Mad and I'm Sad. There...I've vented!! Sincerely, Blazin Bill
blazin bill

Car Information: Chrysler lebaron mark cross convertible 1982

Postby Silverbeard » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:50 pm

P1010625 copy copy.jpg

Hope I won't have to go shopping for anything. All that has been done in about 70,000 m. are brakes, C.V. boots, heater core recently, and Roof, back window, trunk lid, exhaust about 15 - 20 years ago. I know it need shock mounts on front so might get that done this year.

Wondering what others have needed and what it has been like to get the parts?

Any common problems with the 2.6 to look out for or preventative work to be done, hate to touch the motor as it is just fine right now.

Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:58 pm

Yes, there is something to look out for. I am no mechanic, and don't quote me on this, but I believe there is a metal chain in the engine that goes to the oil pump. Periodically, these break and grenade the engine to oblivion. This is the most common reason for 2.6 engine failure. Other than that, the 2.6 really is very reliable contrary to bad public opinion. If that weak spot has not been changed, I would recommend doing so.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby ReliantLV » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:41 pm

Wondering what others have needed and what it has been like to get the parts?

I have gotten some parts for my Reliant from a '87 LeBaron; others have been fitted from a Voyager, Ford Sierra, VW Golf..... I am looking for a donor car, but these cars are so hard to come by in this neck of the woods. If I see one, I'll do my best to buy it (for the body parts and glass at least).
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Postby 84Aries » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:26 pm

I went to Complete Auto Wreckers to get a high level brake light for my 84 Aries, and they had about a dozen 86-89 k -cars. I went back 2 months later for a chrome mirror and they had crushed all but 3, and all 3 had black mirrors. However I was lucky to find a 84 Aries or Reliant I forget at Newcastle Auto Wreckers 30 miles from me, complete and rust free. I took the carb off it for $15.00 as my old carb was failing and it worked like new. I plan to go back for the Light blue 1 generation K-car this spring and buy it as a parts car for mine.
84Aries
Car Fan

Car Information: finding another one

Postby SPAMBOT DETECTOR » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:17 am

SPAMBOT DETECTOR
ANTISPAMMER

Car Information: ANTISPAMBOT

Postby Butch » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 pm

With the J/yards nowaday if you find something you want you'd better buy it on the spot. Want our hobby needs is ALOT more people hitting the yards to save stuff. What would be better is ALOT of people hitting the tow yard auctions to prevent the cars from getting to the yards in the first place. I once worked next to a tow yard and talked to one of the yard buyers there. Their limit on the purchase price for ANY car was $200. So boys and girls, how many cars could be saved for $201. Many of the tow yards have public auctions.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Return to General Car Discussions