So, what so bad about Mistusbishi 2.6

Re: So, what so bad about Mistusbishi 2.6

Postby turbokcar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:20 pm

The block also cracked, but that's a minor issue, because if your block falls apart, your trip is over and you will be looking for a ride.
That article is funny, when there is a problem it's a Chrysler, and when everything is good it's a Mitsubishi. My final point is, those guys that have 10 second turbo Dodge's, do they run 2.2, 2.5, or 2.6. I don't think there are any 10 second 2.6's because they won't go that far. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Uh, what cause the block to crack? Just overheating right?
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Chief » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:19 pm

A cracked block means that the engine itself is cracked. A blown head-gasket means that the gasket between the engine and the head has blown. Either can be caused by overheating the engine. When an engine overheats the head can warp causing the head-gasket to give out. In some engines the heat cracks the block. If the block is cracked, it's over. If the head-gasket is blown you can always machine the head surface and put it all back together.
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby turbokcar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:36 pm

When I rebuilt the engine in my Le Baron I had extensive machine work done, while I was there the guy that ran the equipment and I had a talk about my engine, he told me I was wasting a lot of money, because I will never get my money back out of it, and blah blah blah. I asked what was the worst engine he has ever seen as an automotive machinist, He told me "the worst engine I have ever seen in the last 30 years is the Mitsubishi 2.6. one of the reasons is because they break in half". I'm just passing along what I was told, this guy works on all engines. Even Toyota's.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby karns » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:56 pm

89ARIES wrote:Uh, what cause the block to crack? Just overheating right?

Sometimes it was because of the origional factory installed budget thermometers in the cooling system. they either stuck open, and in the winter you never got heat, or they stuck closed, and you blew your engine. My aunt had a 1984 Caravelle that it happened to. the engine overheated to the point it cracked. needless to say the engine temp meter didn't work properly which was common on those cars, so she didn't know of the doom the car was going to face.
karns

Previous

Return to General Car Discussions