A 1981 Dodge Aries Sedan (21st century pizza delivery)Wow!

A 1981 Dodge Aries Sedan (21st century pizza delivery)Wow!

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:21 am

The first 81 K car alive and reactivated for pizza delivery service in probably 10 years! I can't believe it, the 81 K I used to see near school (last in most of the San Fernando Valley) has been turned into a pizza delivery vehicle with a pizza sign on top of the roof. Today, I sped up and stopped alongside the 81 K at the red light. Both our windows were down. I said "You have a very rare car. Join the K car club!' The guy looked at me like I was nuts, but he was surprised and probably a little flattered. I hope this last of the 81 Aries lives on. Car details:

1981 Dodge Aries 4dr Sedan.
Metallic silver. No pentatar. Dodge block lettering on trunk.
No broken or missing pieces to front grill, taillights, and other parts.
Original 1981 paint. Very good condtion.
Bad: Pieces of the trim all along the body either broken off, missing, or hanging like ropes.
Good: Body in good shape and straight as an arrow. The original 81 dealership invoice sticker I saw on it has been taken off. The invoice was dark yellow and had been taped on the window for 27 years.
It appears someone or something may have ripped off the trim, or the trim had already fallen off.
A few small dents on the right side
Absolutely no rust and purrs like a kitten. No smoke. Probably a low mileage granny car hauled out of the garage and put into service.

Other than that, a surviving 27 year old underpowered econobox with less equipment and power than later K cars. No FM radio or rolldown windows. Its a miracle the one I saw today is still on the road. If I could, I would buy that 81 K car and keep it myself. I think the first generation Ks are more pretty in some ways. Wish there were more of them still out there. Still haven't found a surviving Dodge 400 sedan or Chrysler E-Class.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: A 1981 Dodge Aries Sedan (21st century pizza delivery)Wow!

Postby albie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:34 am

INTERESTING MY wife used our 1986 Aries 2door 5 speed as a pizza delivery car for 12 years,it never really gave up but the indiana winters and salty roads have taken their toll , she now uses a 1987 white 4 door sedan with an automatic, we went to south carolina and found this really nice rust free car but could not locate another 2 door.
albie

Car Information: 1986 dodge 600 convertible

Re: A 1981 Dodge Aries Sedan (21st century pizza delivery)Wow!

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Unfortunately, the owner of that 81 beat it to death last year and I never saw another 81 K again after that. They are almost extinct in So.Cal. When I first saw the car a year ago, it had the 27 year old sellers
invoice still taped on the window and was in immaculate shape. Then, the thoughtless K-car killer beat on it, hit a few things with it, and the car still made it into the Cold Case episode we put on called the Dealer
which had 12 K-cars in it. The car died at the set a few times and the tranny failed to go into reverse. The guy then sold it to a used auto dealer. I failed to follow up in the last year to see what happened to it. I could stop by it on my way home from work and see what happened to it, but I am sure the thoughtless K-car killers killed it.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to General Car Discussions