Just my opinion, GM 80s X bodies outmatch K-cars in accident

Just my opinion, GM 80s X bodies outmatch K-cars in accident

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 am

I know what you are thinking, and I haven't done any research, but have seen a few 80s GM X bodies around here get in major accidents at 15-30 mph impacts, and still be driveable. They seem to be built better than any other small compact car of the 80s for head-ons and rearends. Case in point, a lady near my house was hit in her 80 Skylark in the front by someone going 55. Actually, it was not a head-on, but a t swipe where she got spinned around. The car is still driveable minus the missing headlight and popped fender. The hood is still straight. Another Skylark crashed into a Ford LTD, and the Ford was totalled. The rear bumper of the Buick was bent down at a 45 degree angle, but the car was still driveable and is still being driven. An 80s Olds Omega was rearended at 35 mph, and the bumper is crooked and the frame a little bent, but the car is still driveable. Also, these people driving these X bodies seem to have the attitude that they drive a little econotank. The lady with the 80 Skylark said it was the best car she ever owned. I have a soft spot for X bodies. 8) Sorry folks, but I really don't think our Ks would hold up well in anything more than a 5-10mph impact.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Just my opinion, GM 80s X bodies outmatch K-cars in accident

Postby karns » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 am

Very true. I'm not sure if these are "X" bodies, but I have A 1988 chevy celebrity, and my friend Kayla has a 1988 buick century, and I swear they are the most sturdy little cars I have ever seen. I have taken out 4X4 fence posts with that car, and it looks perfectly fine. (it beats digging them out!) It's a shame that today's cars are 1 hit kills that are 90% plastic. You hit a mailbox, or a stop sign, and you are replacing the entire front end. I like the cars that you could smash into something and live. These new cars crumple like an aluminum can. It's discusting. Also, is it just me, or does the 1980 Malibu, and Buick Century Limited and the "82 Ford Thunderbird look a hell of a lot like the first K cars?
karns

Re: Just my opinion, GM 80s X bodies outmatch K-cars in accident

Postby capev86 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:16 am

went to a demo derby at a country fair up here last fall (over in new hampshire) and the k cars held their own for a long time. the winner was a cavalier or something similar i believe. as for the imports.....good driving or not, you can guess what happened to the true "imports"
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Return to General Car Discussions