My K-Car did a scary bucking hydroplane dance tonight.

My K-Car did a scary bucking hydroplane dance tonight.

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:17 am

I don't understand it. I was only going 55 and it was raining heavily. I had to change lanes as there was a MAJOR accident ahead. As I went to change lanes again, the car started doing a violent bucking dance. It felt like my wheels were caught on something. At first, I thought it was my tranny or my engine dying out. I look down, and I see my speedo bouncing back and forth between 10 and 85. Then, the car resumed normalcy. A little scary to say the least. Maybe its those crappy Dunlap tires Hemi and I noticed. :shock:
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: My K-Car did a scary bucking hydroplane dance tonight.

Postby 88 aries » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:44 am

wouldnt know what mine would do, LOL there tires have been dry for a long time. hancooks are on the 88 Dodge and uniroyal tigerpaws are on my 86 Reliant
88 aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Sounds like what mine did when the passenger side axle broke......unfortunately.....when it happened it did not get better as yours did. So obviously not the axle!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Baron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:12 am

I had something similar happen once- Just gotten a 62 Ford Fairlane 2 dr hdtp back from getting the motor rebuilt and was taking it for its first (test) drive. As I merged from the freeway entrance into traffic and picked up speed the car started skittering and bouncing all over the road and it took all I had to keep it under control and in the lane. I told my wife, who was next to me in the front passenger seat, that the next thing we were going to have to do ASAP was get the suspension worked on. Turns out, it wasn't the suspension at all- it was an earthquake! Probably not the case with you, but who knows? :)

Actually, having driven fwd cars, that does sound very much like what happens when the front tires lose traction and they either start trying to go into a skid, or just simply start hydroplaning. It feels very much the way you describe and the speedometer goes crazy along with the tires as they go back and forth trying to get traction.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby Butch » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:36 am

Jacks1986Lebaron wrote:Sounds like what mine did when the passenger side axle broke......unfortunately.....when it happened it did not get better as yours did. So obviously not the axle!

Yep, broken axle or stripped spline in intermediate shaft. The splines get rusty and strip out, his may have welded itself togather when it hit 85 mph. I had 2 intermediate shafts strip out, both just got welded up. Been over 3 yrs on the welded axle in the car now.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:01 pm

Butch wrote:
Jacks1986Lebaron wrote:Sounds like what mine did when the passenger side axle broke......unfortunately.....when it happened it did not get better as yours did. So obviously not the axle!

Yep, broken axle or stripped spline in intermediate shaft. The splines get rusty and strip out, his may have welded itself togather when it hit 85 mph. I had 2 intermediate shafts strip out, both just got welded up. Been over 3 yrs on the welded axle in the car now.

I fortunately was just pulling out of the parking lot at work onto a busy street, and immediately pulled over!! Even with immediately pulling over, it has subsequently caused many small problems even after replacing axle with new.

When sitting still or driving when you turn the steering wheel it makes a slight popping noise, mostly when you are turning the steering wheel to the right.

Also......"sometimes" when turning to the left, the front passenger tire wobbles just a little bit until you get it up to speed.

doesn't do it all the time, and NEVER did it before the axle broke.

Plan on having it all looked at, AFTER I get the new radiator.....right now the Lebaron is sitting out in the driveway and has been for about awhile. Only driven 5 times since December 18th. :cry:

I'm looking at getting a dual core radiator put in it.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Return to General Car Discussions