oil?

oil?

Postby gohan69 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:23 pm

What kind of spark plugs and oil do you guys recommend should i stay with conventional and copper plugs or will I gain anything out of platinum and synthetic oil?
gohan69

Car Information: 1985 Dodge aries 2.2 2bl

Re: oil?

Postby turbokcar » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:50 pm

I run what ever oil is on sale, I was told that the turbo engines have problems with Bosh platinum plugs, I guess under boost they can break? The problem with synthetic oil is, it costs a lot, and K cars leak oil a lot. And I change my oil when ever it gets black, for some reason my car seems to have higher oil pressure with new oil.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Re: oil?

Postby capev86 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:38 pm

platinum plugs don't last long under the heat and intensity of turbocharged engines. best bang for the buck for any 2.2 or 2.5 is the factory spec champion plugs.

as for oil.....you get what you pay for. i have 171,000 miles on the original 2.5 in my 86 k wagon. cylinder number 2 burns oil. i ran regular 5w-30 and fram filters. i heard a few years ago that fram filters don't have an anti-drainback feature that you is supposedly needed for the 2.2 and 2.5. now i spend serious money and buy napa gold fiters which are much more robust and have the drainback feature. i hear the big mopar filters for a ram v10 will supposedly bolt right on as long as your alternator doesn't get in the way. you can't use them on a neon because the filter hangs on the bottom (hits the road).

on any vehicle that doesn't burn considerable oil, i run supertech synthetic 5w-30 from walmart. it turns out my sister's 99 cavalier 2.2 and my 89 buick lesabre 3.8 use the same ac delco pf47 filter, so i picked those up at pepboys until walmart started stocking them at a few cents cheaper.

on a turbo engine, run only synthetic due to the extra wear involved and the fact that the turbo is lubed by the engine oil.....cheap insurance to extend the life of expensive to repair/replace turbochargers! on true shelbydodge cars (the ones modified by shelby and not just spit off the mopar assembly line) there is a plague that says use Mobil 1 oil only! probably royal purple is good enough too and quaker state synthetic they sell at dodge dealers.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Return to General Car Discussions